Help! My betta is getting worse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was planning on adding the dwarf corys this weekend, should I wait or can I go ahead. Perhaps it will keep him busy, and his tail biting will stop if that is whats wrong with his fins?

Watch him with the Cories. You don't have any hiding places for them and some Bettas will attack them. If you want to try them, observe closely.
You may want to add more smooth decor. Or plants.

Could you please take a photo of the filter as well as a few full tank shot for me? Thanks

Oh, Maybe even the new injury on your poor Betta.

Hubert I posted some pics a few days ago like you asked. Any advice/thoughts would be appreciated

I would wait on the cories until you sort Matisse's fin situation out. What are your water parameters now?

Fin rot

Ok well I assume at this stage that it is fin rot because one part of my betta's top fin has turned brownish/black.

Please tell me how he got this? Im not sure what else to do and why is it becoming worse? Just a recap.

Ive had my betta for about 6 weeks now and on week 3 i noticed a tear in his fin which has gotten worse and now his tail is all frayed.

He is alone in my 8 gallon new tank which has a corner filter with noodles and filter wool. I have 2 real plants and a piece of driftwood. This piece of driftwood came from a tank in a pet store I now refuse to go to anymore because they dont know much about fish and their fish dont look healthy. Can this be the cause? Its been in the tank all through the 50 day cycling process before I got Matisse. Can it still be a source of bacteria?

Ammonia and nitrites are always zero.

I have 3 smooth river rocks in my tank which I first soaked in bleach and then rinsed well, put out in sun for 24 hours then soaked in dechlorinated water for a while before adding to tank.

I also have pool filter sand which I bought at a hardware store and thouroughly rinsed before adding.

What else can it be?

How can I make it better? Some people on South African forum suggest I add a redbush(rooibos) teabag to the water which I did twice now, it doesnt seem to be doing any harm but also not helping either. Maybe Im just too impatient?

Feeding schedule:

3 Omega one betta pellets once a day soaked in garlic juice
Saturdays: 3 bloodworms

I also thought that it could be my dechlorinator. Could it be expired? And does it sound right to only add 3 drops per 4 litres?

Matisse is still very active and explores the whole tank. I have the light on most days during the day but I often leave it off because I get the idea he doesnt like it.

My tank is heated and it remains constant at 80 degrees.

I do a 70-80% water change once a week as well as vacuum gravel.
I have started adding 20% WC's every 2 days for the past week.

How can I get this right?

Ok everyone, unfortunately Matisse's tail is worse today. Tested all my parameters and they are great. Ammonia and nitrites at 0 as always. PH at 7.5 and nitrates at 10. I am now armed with tetra general tonic and aquarium salt. I have a small 1 liter container to medicate him in as I dont want to harm my plants. Can I add the salt and tonic at the same time and how long must he stay in the salt water. Can I just put him in for a few minutes, he is not going to be very impressed with me if I keep him in there for extended periods of time. He is VERY active and that would just seem cruel.

Please advise on how much salt I should use. I know someone who suggested about 1g per liter of water?

Do I dissolve it first in hot water?

Back
Top Bottom