help my discus !!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luck_y_777

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have a discus that is currently in a 30gal tank that has been set up for about a year and he has gotten very dark and he is breathing fast. my water parameters are 20ppm of nitrate 0ppm nitrite 6.8 ph 150 gh 40 kh and close to 0ppm of ammonia. i think it might be gill flukes but not sure please help

no recent additions or changes to the tank. his diet is the same he eats but not alot. the water temp is 81f he also hides often

i am just wondering my other discus died about 2 weeks ago but do discus do well alone?

Any idea on age? A 30g is too small for sub-adult - adult discus IMO.
Have you tried any meds?
By "diet" he meant what kind of food do you feed him?

no i had two but just one now the other discus died because of hexamita. the discus is 2.5 inches and i feed my discus bloodworms

not certain but pretty sure because it doesnt look like the other one did doesnt have any disfigurement of his head but, have been treating it with a little bit of maracide

How much maracide and for how long? Metronidazole, combined with a quality, varied diet and pristine water conditions is the only way to beat hexamita.

20ml every other day. what kind of medication has metraonidazole ?

the dark apperance made me think of hex.. but I was staying out of it from lack of experince with the wide range of illnesses and treatments with disucus..

Im kinda currious what your pwc scedual is actually..

i do 30% weekly but trying to do that twice a week now because of his current condition

I would personaly do much larger and or pwc much more often..
If your tank and tap KH and PH are close to the same....
I would do 75%+ pwc's as often as possible.. (even if its twice a day sometimes)

Back
Top Bottom