help my fight algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mumrah

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ever since i switched out my incandescents for screw-in mini power compact flourescents, i've had the hardest time fighting algae in my 10g planted.

I have green algae, brown algae, spot algae, fuzz algae. Just about ever kind.
What is the best tactic for getting rid of it? I scrub ever few days and it just comes back more so.

I've heard of a strict fert regimin to starve the algae. Or should i start injecting co2? or what?

Any ideas?

Its been proven time and again that addressing CO2 is the first step in beating algae. How many watts are over the 10? Is there a reflector?

phosphates unknown (no test kit), nitrates ~10ppm. reflector, yes but not a nice shiney one. The bulbs are 50/50 20W. As i understand, the 20 total watts of acitinic blue dont contribute to plant growth. So 20 total watts 10000k, and 20 total watts actinic 03 blue.

Is it maybe just way too much light?

My guess is you have more then 1ppm of PO4.. You would be wise to get a PO4 testkit.
You have 2wpg over a 10 gallon tank you likely dont have to have CO2 but it would definatly help you controll algae.. but getting your PO4 levels correct will be somthing you can do without addition of more equipment, you should be able to do it with water changes.

I had the same problem with my 10 and got rid of it for a regular flourecent strip. Of course now, diatoms seem to be nice and comfy in there and dont think they need to leave. :roll:
I personally think those screw ins are too much for a 10 unless youre injecting co2 and your tank is *heavily* planted.

Back
Top Bottom