HELP!!- My first tank is happening all over again!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sherlock

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, I set up a guppy tank a few days ago and after keeping freshwater fish for a while, I decided i'd try cycling with a few guppies. So I went out and got myself 5 guppies and the tank was already set up for a day with plants and their filter+heater and light. The first night, I noticed them looking like they were gasping for air, so I promptly did a 50% water change and put an airstone in the tank. This gasping stopped shortly and all was well this morning. The gasping started again in the evening and I did another 50% water change while running the airstone. This seemed to work. WELL, about one hour ago I found a guppy fish dead As I write this (midnight) I have my airstone running and I did a big water change earlier already. The other four guppies are currently chilling at the top of the tank besides one, who looks active and healthy. My temp is 82 and I do not believe that these deaths were caused by overstocking with uncycled tank.

Tomorrow I will be going to get my water tested but I don't know what I can do right now to stop the other fish from dying :confused: .
I know I'm stupid for thinking the fish would be fine.
Has anyone had this happen to them? I need some quick advice :thanks:

Yes I use Prime

Okay. Well that rules out one thing. What is needed now is to list your parameters if you can. Ammo, nitrites, nitrates, pH. If you don't have a test kit I would recommend to purchase one ASAP. The liquid one and not the test strips. Also, what size tank ? I understand you're doing a fish in cycle and that's fine. Been done a bunch of times with good success rates. Personally, I'd lower the temp as 82° seems to be the high end of what they can live in safely.

But let me further point out, it could've been that the fish didn't acclimate well and it was just stress for this to happen. Or perhaps it wasn't 100% when you got it. For now all we can do is speculate as to what it could be.

I agree with you. I need to see parameters. I suppose I'll have to wait until tomorrow and hope the fish are okay. 2/4 now seem to be active but hopefully they are all well in the morning. Thanks and I'll get my parameters checked tomorrow. This is a ten gallon tank and Unfortunately I cannot lower the temp :( living in Texas has it's down sides. I'm not even using a heater...

I agree with you. I need to see parameters. I suppose I'll have to wait until tomorrow and hope the fish are okay. 2/4 now seem to be active but hopefully they are all well in the morning. Thanks and I'll get my parameters checked tomorrow. This is a ten gallon tank and Unfortunately I cannot lower the temp :( living in Texas has it's down sides. I'm not even using a heater...

Fair enough. Oh Texas, a little hint for the heat then. Save a couple used, 1 liter bottled water, soda, whatever bottles. MARK THEM "DO NOT DRINK" and fill with treated water. Put a couple in the fridge and freezer. Drop them in tank to help cool it and back to freeze/fridge to cool the bottle again. No worries about contaminating the tank since it's treated and totally reusable. Maybe 1 liter is too big for a 10 gallon??. Go with a smaller size. 16-20 oz. Or if you've got a desktop fan direct the breeze over the top of the tank.

That's a great idea! I'll try it out first thing in the morning thanks!

The fact that they seem fine after a water change suggests that they are suffering from ammonia poisoning. How big is the tank?

How much food do you give them? Over feeding is one of the most common reasons for ammonia build up in a new tank.

The fact that they seem fine after a water change suggests that they are suffering from ammonia poisoning. How big is the tank?

How much food do you give them? Over feeding is one of the most common reasons for ammonia build up in a new tank.

Op stated in post 5 it's a 10g. I agree it does sound like ammo poisoning if they're "better" after WC's. Makes the most sense and hopefully the liquid kit will give some better answers.

I don't feed them very much, just a pinch and I do my water changes after feeding to siphon out any flakes they missed. I'll try to get to a test kit today and then I'll update you with parameters.

Back
Top Bottom