Help my goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Foskett96

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I I was wondering if fish can choke. Cause my goldfish I fed them some peas and I think it might of been a bit big so they keep opening their mouths to chew it I think I can see the peas in there mouth. Please help I am really worried for my fish.

Did you put the whole pea in there or did you mush it up into pieces? Splitting it into pieces is a good idea usually lol. Watch it and see if it spits it out, swallows it on his own. If not, I'm not sure. I know some people have gently netted the fish and taken out things stuck in fish's mouths themselves but I haven't done it so I can't comment. Hopefully someone else will chime in. ALso we have an Unhealthy fish section; problems with your fish such as potential illness and things like this might get more answers there.

Many fish will hold food in their mouths, especially if there are more aggressive feeders in the tank.

The only thing I have heard of fish really choking on is gravel, something especially risky with goldfish (and one of many reasons I only use and recommend sand).

I know my goldfish make a weird sucking face when I feed them peas. Kinda looks like they're gasping. Freaked me out the first time, now it's just cool to see them act different because of different food.

Make sure you mash the peas between your fingers before feeding them-same goes for any other veggie you may use. The veggie pieces shouldnt be any bigger than size of the fish food you feed.

Back
Top Bottom