Help, my mind is melting..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kennyyoli

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OK, so this is going to be a long one...
This all started a month and a half ago. 29 gallon, 4 year old cycled tank had a filter that failed. It was a Fluvial 106 canister that had been on the tank 2 of the 4 years. We were away when it failed, and the person feeding "didn't notice" the filter not running. When we came home, the water was cloudy, and the fish didn't look well.
I immediately got them out of there, and sent them to my sisters hospital tank, where they have been since.
I replaced the Fluvial 106 with a 206, using some of the bio sphere media from the old filter in the new one. The foam didn't fit so i took a chunk of the old foam media and dropped it in the tank. Then I did a 50% water change, and let the new one run, monitoring the parameters. When I started, the ammonia was at .25ppm, and nitites were at .50ppm PH was at 6.8(my tap water is 7.4), nitrates were at 40 ppm. Let it run and 3 days later, the ammonia and nitrites zero'ed out. I did a 30% water change, and tossed in some feeder goldfish to have some bio load in the tank while the new filter got seeded. Within 1 hour, the feeders were at the top of the tank gasping. I checked the ammonia, 0ppm, Nitrites were at .50ppm!, and PH was 6.8. I pulled the feeder fish out and put them in a 5 gallon bucket, because I am an animal lover, and can't do that to any living creature. I did another water change and monitored the situation. What is happening is EVERY time I do a water change, I get a nitrite spike of .50ppm or greater. Before the water changes I am at 0 ppm and 6.8 ph. do a water change of 30-50%, and 1 hour later the nitrites spike, and ph drops.
I thought maybe it was something in the gravel causing it, so I changed out the gravel & took the plastic rock cave out of the tank. I cleaned the tank out. so that can't be causing it. My tap water has no nitrites, and 7.4 PH so it can't be that. It has to be something in the filter? When I do my water changes, i stop the filter and change water with a siphon hose direct from the tap. The ones that have the venturi that sucks water out, and you close the valve off and it send the water to fill up the aquarium. I even tested my water with the amquel in it that I use to detoxify and prep my tap water, and it still was at 0 ppm nitrite and 7.4 ph. I am stumped. My next idea is to completely disassemble the filter and wash it out. I really don't want to do that, because I do have some bacteria in there, right now they can process .25ppm ammonia and .50 ppm nitrite to zero in 24 hours. But something in there is causing this I think. Turn off the filter, do a water change, treat with amquel, turn it back on and 1 hour later, nitrite spike..... UGH Anybody have any ideas, or suggestions?

Last edited:
Nitrites are a pain in the rear. When I was fishless cycling, they kept climbing and stayed off the charts for weeks. Any disturbances brought them back, and I was losing my mind. Eventually it worked out, but I added Tetra Safestart and it like worked overnight. What water conditioner are you using? What do you use to add the water from the tap? Check everything.

Just Amquel Plus out of the tap. I have taken samples of my treated tap water and tested those... 0 ppm. Taken everything out of the tank and changed out the substrate. Eliminated everything I was suspicious of causing it. I've decided my next test will be trying a water change without turning the pump off. If they don't spike... I'll probably cry. I can't imagine what would be in the filter that's causing nitrite spikes when you turn it off temporarily during a water change.

To be honest, I wouldn't worry about it. A 0.5ppm nitrate really isn't harmful to fish. As a matter fact, I have never found a study that says anything about toxicity towards fish. It's more toxic than nitrate for sure, but it's quite a bit less toxic than ammonia.

The feeders gasping at the top of the tank were likely from a quick acclimation or other stressor rather than a nitrite level.

It's just you would expect a water change to lower your nitrites, not increase them, or cause a spike. Those feeders were acclimated pretty well, and returned to normal as soon as I got them out of the tank and the spike, so .50ppm seemed pretty significant to them?
I thought any amount of nitrite can be bad for your fish?

It's just you would expect a water change to lower your nitrites, not increase them, or cause a spike. Those feeders were acclimated pretty well, and returned to normal as soon as I got them out of the tank and the spike, so .50ppm seemed pretty significant to them?
I thought any amount of nitrite can be bad for your fish?

There's no scientific study to back up the toxicity of nitrite or else I would be able to help you more with that. Out of personal experience, nitrite isn't very toxic when compared to ammonia. I let my saltwater quarantine tank slip up to 4ppm of nitrites accidentally and there were absolutely no ill effects shown by the fish.

Ammonia is more toxic at higher pH levels and temperature so we can assume theres a correlation between the two regarding toxicity.

Have you checked your tap water? If there is any in the tap water going into the tank then it isn't going to help.

Which dechlorinater do you use? I would suggest prime as it changes the form of ammonia and nitrite to be non toxic for 24 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My tap water has no nitrites, and I am treating with Amquel Plus when I do water changes. I've taken samples and tested and gotten 0ppm, so I've eliminated that as a source of the problem.

Well, I tried doing a 50% water change with the filter running. Before the water change, 0 nitrites & 0 ammonia. After 1 hour. 0 ammonia and somewhere between .50ppm and 1ppm nitrites. ph of my tap is 7.4, and as soon as I put it in the aquarium, it drops to around 6.4 to 6.8. I know this is a process of the conversion of ammonia to nitrites, but my tap water I'm introducing doesn't have ammonia either, so I am stumped.
I have no clue? Are the water changes bringing the ph up enough to process some leftover waste in the filter until the ph gets low enough that the cycle stalls? I don't know.

Should I keep doing daily water changes until this stops happening?

Also, the feeder fish are happy as clams in the 5 gallon bucket I have them in. yesterday evening i started acclimating them from the bucket to the tank, and as soon as I get them in the tank water, they start going to the top and gulping air. within 1 minute. That was at the point the water had 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites, before the water change.
Getting frustrated. Feels like I will never get the aquarium where I can bring our fish back.

Last edited:
Well. I nuked the tank, and I'm just going to start over from scratch at this point. Gonna cycle with some feeders and One and Only, like Idid way back when I started the tank. I really thought I'd be able to just replace the filter, go through a mini-cycle, and move on. :/

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom