HELP !!!! My molly and guppy need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are they living with any other fish? What size aquarium? Whatever are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels?

In any case, your best medicine is probably going to be a water change and some aquarium salt.

I have them cerrently seperated from the tetras but theres a few tetras and the rest are molls platys and guppies they act fine and swim around as usuall but there fins look horrible

Hi, I see your posting a lot of questions throughout the forum.
How many tanks do you have?
What fish do you have (kind and number)?
Do you own a test kit?
How often do you do water changes and what size?
Are/is your tank/s cycled?
How long have they been set up?
Tattered fins can be from a few things. Nipping from other fish, getting them caught on things or fin rot caused by a bacteria and usually brought on by poor water conditions.
If you can give us as much info on your setup/s as possible we will be able to help you better.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html

Last edited:
I currently have a 45g tall with piranhas which i have no problems and a 75g long with 3 nine inch oscars with no problems im just having such a hard time with my mollies and other livebearers. My tetras in the same tank as my livebearers are just fine... Could it be them? If so should i try Seperating them and see if it gets any better?

The_misteak11 said:
I currently have a 45g tall with piranhas which i have no problems and a 75g long with 3 nine inch oscars with no problems im just having such a hard time with my mollies and other livebearers. My tetras in the same tank as my livebearers are just fine... Could it be them? If so should i try Seperating them and see if it gets any better?

Ok. :) What about the other question?
Can I also get you to google 'old tank syndrome' and read the link above?
Idk anything about piranhas but I can tell you your Oscar tank is very over stocked sorry. One Oscar is fully stocked for a 75g.
What size tank are the mollies in? And what kind of tetra? Can you post a picture? So far it sounds like they are suffering fin rot.

I read about the oscars being overstocked but they seem really happy. They dont fight and they let anyone walk up and pet them lol :) and the tetras are orange with a black spot on it im not sure on the name but ive seen them chase them around sometime. The only fish that arent suffering from tail damage is my bog platy and swordtail

The_misteak11 said:
I read about the oscars being overstocked but they seem really happy. They dont fight and they let anyone walk up and pet them lol :) and the tetras are orange with a black spot on it im not sure on the name but ive seen them chase them around sometime. The only fish that arent suffering from tail damage is my bog platy and swordtail

Once you read up on OTS you might change your mind about the oscars. :)
Can you post pictures of your fish? We can ID them.
Can you test your water too please?

Lol i kno there overstocked haha but it doesnt seem to bother them. Im in the market for a 150 my friend has. And i can test the water when i get home and wat picture of wat fish do u want me to post?

The_misteak11 said:
Lol i kno there overstocked haha but it doesnt seem to bother them. Im in the market for a 150 my friend has. And i can test the water when i get home and wat picture of wat fish do u want me to post?

A 150g would be great. The sooner the better IMO. :)
The tetras for an ID and the fish with the effected tails. Clear shots of the tails if you can. Most of the time fishes fins/tails will grow back and heal with just clean water.

Ive been duin water changes and aquarium salt and ill post the piks soon. They act fine and i hope that they will be ok

The_misteak11 said:
Ive been duin water changes and aquarium salt and ill post the piks soon. They act fine and i hope that they will be ok

That's good! Are their tails still deteriorating, staying the same or improving? After a few weeks if there is no improvement you may need to look into medication.

It just started a few days ago and i treated the tank today and im duin water changes so i hope they get better

The_misteak11 said:
It just started a few days ago and i treated the tank today and im duin water changes so i hope they get better

They should improve soon as long as all their needs are met (clean water, good food and a proper sized cycled tank)

Here are some piks of them. Its only some of the guppies and mollys and others look just fine i have the really bad one in a breeder tank to keep him away from the tetras

image-2877858843.jpg

image-3420992432.jpg

image-1781008421.jpg

From what I can see the first and second look like fin rot. The third looks bad. I can't tell if it was fin rot or nipped off. Keep a close eye on him for infection. If fin rot gets to the base of the tail it can get into the blood.

Is there anything i can do to help them. How much salt am i supposed to add per gallon for them?

1 flat tablespoon of salt per 5 gallons of tank water. Dissolve it into a container of tank water and slowly add it over a day or two so the fish get use to it. Salt doesn't evaporate so the only way to remove it is through water changes. If you do a 50% water change you need to replace half the amount of salt that was in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom