Help! My oranda got attacked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mpheng

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I recently bought 2 orandas and introduced it into my fish of fancies, they seemed fine for the first hour, after another couple i turned out to find one of them to have one of his eyes gone and the bulge on his dead torn, the other one seems fine with no problems but the injured one is still swimming around.

help! what do i do.

My tank is 75 gallons with 7 other fancies and 1 6'' koi (being transported to a pond soon)

The koi is your likely culprit. I'd move him now before there is any more damage. As for the one with the missing eyes... it will adapt to the tank and will find food by smell but you will have to be sure he is getting enough food. It's sad that it happened but we have a mostly blind orando due to the fact he is so old and his head growth is so big it has grown hanging over his eyes and he really can't see much if anything. He still eats and does fine but I also never move the hardscape, which is DW up against the back glass with anubia and java fern growing on it. I also have soft plants in there that can be grazed on for round the clock food. Don't add any plants with the koi in there or it will most likely be pulled out and completely eaten.

Have you ever considered trimming your orandas wen? I've read that it's an option when the growth gets outa control.
(Sorry' didn't mean to hijack your post.)

I know it can be done but I personally don't feel comfortable doing to. I would have to find a vet that knows how to work on fish. I know of one who works on big koi but thats all I know he's ever worked on.

I also think the koi is guilty. Goldfish are round clumsy fish. Koi on the other hand are fast, graceful fish that can unwittingly inflict injuries on other fish.

I also think the koi is guilty. Goldfish are round clumsy fish. Koi on the other hand are fast, graceful fish that can unwittingly inflict injuries on other fish.

Do you think the koi have attacked the goldfish on purpose?

Could be, the fish was new, not one of the regular bunch the koi is used to. Koi can be quite interesting fish and sometimes they even surprize me (we have a 2000+ Koi pond).

bettaowner said:

Agreed. Koi are basically decendents of carp arent they? They get big and are complete
Pigs! Extremly hardy animals

Jacobsal91 said:
Agreed. Koi are basically decendents of carp arent they? They get big and are complete
Pigs! Extremly hardy animals

Lol Koi's are not just a decedent of carp, they are carp, just a more decorative breed. Goldfish were developed in China by breeding the Prussian Carp and Koi's were developed in Japan from breeding the Domesticated Common Carp.
Is it possible that your Oranda may have injured the eye on something in the tank? Like the decor?

bettaowner said:
I don't think a koi would hurt the goldfish on purpose.

And yes they can and will hurt another goldfish on purpose. Sometimes because of food, lack of space, stress, etc. Koi do have a tendency to become aggressive especially during spawning and there are reports of Koi attacking other goldfish, that is why it is best to keep them with their own species.

butterfly_koi said:
Lol Koi's are not just a decedent of carp, they are carp, just a more decorative breed. Goldfish were developed in China by breeding the Prussian Carp and Koi's were developed in Japan from breeding the Domesticated Common Carp.
Is it possible that your Oranda may have injured the eye on something in the tank? Like the decor?

Well i was kinda right!!! Lol

Back
Top Bottom