Help my tank is cloudy no matter what i do i cant get it clear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pete_f5

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Im running a fluva 406 filter in my 75 gal tank i have three oscars and 3 jack dempsys in the tank.

image-1142752040.jpg

How long has it been cloudy? Have you recently cleaned it? Is it a new tank? What have you tried to fix it?

Yeah the bio-load on your tank is huge!! I would suggest two 50% water changes weekly if you don't plan on rehoming a few fish.

Ive been doing weekly water changes but i also do know that my tank is currently overstocked and am trying to fix the situation. Hopefully if the rehoming goes well today ill be down to just one oscar and one or two of my dempsys.

Up the water changes to clear things up. Maybe run carbon for a little see if that helps.

Not gonna get into your tank. Your working on that issue.

Heavy bio load means better filtration and bigger water changes.

What is your feeding schedule like?

I usually feed them twice a day with pellets and on occasion feed them feeders.

I usually feed them twice a day with pellets and on occasion feed them feeders.

That 's probably not helpin, That and te fact thats it's a 75 and 1 Oscar is as big as your open hand. What type of filtration are you running again?

That 's probably not helpin, That and te fact thats it's a 75 and 1 Oscar is as big as your open hand. What type of filtration are you running again?

Fluva 406 and i have a second hanging filter nothing special just put it on to help out.

Fluva 406 and i have a second hanging filter nothing special just put it on to help out.

What brand? How big is it. Maybe add some carbon or purigen to it?

But in any event I think some back to back 50% water changes are your best friend today. Also with such a heavy bio load in a overstocked tank I'd feed once a day.

Just my opinion.

What brand? How big is it. Maybe add some carbon or purigen to it?

But in any event I think some back to back 50% water changes are your best friend today. Also with such a heavy bio load in a overstocked tank I'd feed once a day.

Just my opinion.

Umm just a cheap top fin one. Thanx for the advice ill try using all of it after work today.

Umm just a cheap top fin one. Thanx for the advice ill try using all of it after work today.

On a 75 you and your fish would be happy with your canister and a nice aqua clear 110. Maybe that with canister and some good water changes will help.

It looks a lot like a bacteria bloom, which would be caused from the overstocking issue and overfeeding. My tank just went through one. The water got really milky white.

If the water chemistry is fine, then its more of a visual issue. The bacteria wont hurt the fish. They will consume a lot of oxygen though. The only thing you can do, if it is a bacteria bloom, is decrease the amount of organic matter and wait it out. Cutting back the amount you feed them, and decreasing the bioload should help. Keep an eye on the chemistry. If anything starts to spike do a water change, but if the chemistry is normal, leave it alone. Adding water into the tank actually provides new nutrients and space for the bacteria to grow, continuing the problem.

On a 75 you and your fish would be happy with your canister and a nice aqua clear 110. Maybe that with canister and some good water changes will help.

Yeah like i said i have a fluval 406 canister filter and the top fin was just an xtra one to help out

So update my tank has now went from 3 oscars n 3 dempseys down to just one oscar n 2 dempseys sad day ive had them for 3 almost 4 years but they are outgrowing their tank and dont deserve to b cramped up. But we will see if my tank gets clearer.

So update my tank has now went from 3 oscars n 3 dempseys down to just one oscar n 2 dempseys sad day ive had them for 3 almost 4 years but they are outgrowing their tank and dont deserve to b cramped up. But we will see if my tank gets clearer.

Good job. You are one of the rare people who will give fish away because they actually care about them.

I agree! Awesome job bro! I know it's tough but you did a solid thing right there and you should 100% be proud!!

Kudos to you my friend!! And yes I'd venture to say your tank will get clearer without such a heavy bio load.

Back
Top Bottom