HELP my tank is infested with unknown nematodes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DBTetraguy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Despite my attempts at quarentining new arrivals I have somehow gotten an infestation of some sort of work that lives in the substrate. I believe them to be some type of nematode they range in length from 1/4 inch to 3/4 inch long and are not apparent unless the substrate is disturbed at this point they begin to swim in the water with rapid whip like movement of the entire body except the head which remains stationary. I have two questions, are they harmful and how do I get rid of them(I know something like half of the species of nematodes are parasitic dont want that in my tank especially if there is a risk to humans of fish), regardless of thier potential to harm the tank they are rather unwelcome guests and they dont do alot for the appearance of teh aquarium when 50 or so of them are swimming in the water after a cleaning.

Thanks alot

Drew

Are they threadlike?

I had threadlike ones that I thought were ok but after a rigorous gravel vac I disturbed a large number of them. I had placed a heater in the tank and as the water temp got to 24deg C I noticed my fish slowly deteriorated, the next morning they were all dead. I believe the wormy threadlike things did it, slowly blocking the fish gills. I cleaned out my entire tank and started again.

I don't know if what you have is the same but I couldn't get any info on my prob either. Some said they were harmless and were from over feeding, others suggested I get a clown loach to keep these wriggly guys under control in the future.

I have a 6gal tank with 5 cardinal tetras and 1 clown loach (I do not suggest you get a clown loach on its own or for a small tank, I will be transfering mine to a bigger tank soon).

I am sorry I could not help more but can only relay info from my experience.

Louise

Are they red or white? Either way, I'd try treating your fish tank with Parasite Guard (by Jungle). If you see the worm attached to a fish, remove it with tweezers by holding the fish in a damp, lint free washrag.

I'd also recomend doing partial water treatments using a siphon. Make sure you have no open wounds on your hands. Tuberucolisis can be transferred to humans in the form of an infection, but I've never heard of anyone gettin from water parasites. Still, better safe, neh?

To remove parasites within the gills, give the fish baths in water with salt and anti-parasite treament. If none of this works, I'd give your fish a complete water change and bath them in salt water while you clean the tank. (Make sure you follow the directions on the salt/treatment bottle, blah blah blah.)

On a personal note, I have had ongoing battles with what I resentfully call 'Whiteworms'. I beleive I lost all of my frogs to them a few years ago, including a twelve year old xenopus, leopard, and firebelly. I also noticed them in my guppy tanks once. Parasite Guard worked wonders for the guppies. I have noticed Red worms in my outdoor pond. They are still there and my fish are fine. I figure it is nearly impossible to treat outdoors as it will rain and wash more in anyway.

I have not noticed any parasites since I started using salt in my indoor aqauriums. You have to watch out for amphibians when using salt, though. Pet stores use salt to keep infections down while holding the fish.

Anyway, I hope some of this is helpful. Be sure to let me know how things work out!
lashilia

Yes they are white and threadlike, I lost a prize Betta in another tank and two mollies to teh same infestation, I believe they where introduced with plants as that is the only thing the two tanks had in common. I had purchased some camboda and after quarentining it I had not noticed any problems, apparently the worms are unnoticable until they have infested the tank to uncurable proportions... Incidentally in teh first tank after teh fish had all died in intentionally chlorinated the water to perform a disinfection and to see if this would kill the parasites, it did not, same with salinity, Ive increased it dramatically in the tank in my efforts just to see if they will die and no luck. I will have to check out parasite guard, the worms dont appear to be parasitic, but tehy really kill the appearance of the aquarium and Id like to get rid of them

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom