Help! My two new fish died!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishMom109

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The other day we went out and bought a tank, supplies and fish. I bought an irridescent shark about 2", a gold dojo about 2.5" and a pleco, I think it's a common... he's about 2.5" too. The tank is a 29 gallon tank and we bought it when we bought the fish. I know that we were supposed to cycle it, but I've never done it with tanks before, and I know people that have just popped their fish in and have lived, so we didn't with ours.

I have an octagon shaped 5 gallon tank that had the old filters in it that I ran for 2-3 days in the hopes of it cycling. I read on here, or some other forum, that I could do that because the filters had the bacteria in them that I needed for my new tank.

When we brought the tank home, we rinsed everything off, decorations, rocks plants, and rinsed the tank out as well. The night before we got the fish and tank, I filled up some buckets and water pitchers with water so that they would be room temperature by the time we got home with the fish so that we didn't shock them or anything. When we got home with our new pets, we kept them in the bag and set the in the smaller 5 gallon tank so they could adjust to the water and began filling up the tank with the room temperature water that we had prepared. Once the tank was almost full, we put the 5 gallon tank water into the 29 gallon, and added the water conditioner that came with it. We turned on the heater that came with it and we put our new fish in. They did pretty good and have been alive and swimming around fine up until this morning.

I noticed the day before yesterday that our irridescent shark seemed to have some sort of sore on him, and I'm assuming it's either from the pleco attaching to him, or from him running into the 'sunken ship' decoration that we have, as it has some pointy parts on it. I'm pretty sure it wasn't my pleco though, as he has had sinking wafers available, and some fish flakes. Yesterday he seemed to have healed some, as his wound wasn't looking as bad.

Last night before I went to bed, he seemed to have slowed down and was swimming with his upper body towards the bottom of the tank with his tail up.. and swimming very slowly. I'm just assuming that the wound didn't heal like I thought it was going to and this is what killed him... I woke up this morning to him in the corner standing on his tail with his head up in the corner.. dead. :(

My dojo on the other hand is dead as well, and this is a surprise to me. He was a vibrant orange color when I brought him home and had lightened up slightly, last night before I went to bed, I checked on them and he appeared to be a whitish color, but the light was off, and I don't know if they just get lighter when it's darker in the tank.

My pleco is doing good, and while he doesn't have much algae to eat off of in the tank, he has also had wafers available. He's found his own section of the tank and just kinda hung out. I've watched him nibble at the wafers and attach himself to the ship, the other side of the tank and the rock decoration that we have in there. I did some research on them all yesterday and I thought I would put some watermelon in there for them. I read that the other fish would probably try it as well but that the pleco would most likely consume most of it. Last night they didn't touch it, but I woke up this morning to see that the pleco was attached and feeding happily. There was a sadness to find that my other two were dead, and at the bottom on the tank.. they did look peaceful but it was heartbreaking to know that I had killed them and not know why.

The water looks a little cloudy.. as it did last night before I went to bed, and I'm pretty sure that the watermelon is not the culprit as I researched that this fruit was not likely the cause of the cloudiness.

The guy at Petco told me that these three fish would be okay together and they shouldn't have any problems as tank mates. He also chose a sinking wafer that would be good for all three of them. The pleco and dojo seemed to like the wafers, and the shark went to the top of the tank for the flakes that I put in.

I know that I probably should have cycled the tank and failed to do so, but with everything that I've done, could there be another reason for my fish to have died and my pleco to still be alive? Maybe he's a hardy fish that can make it through everything, or maybe the guy at Petco had no idea what he is talking about. Someone please help!!!

Welcome to AA!

First, read the cycling links in my signature. It will explain a lot.

It's a shame your fish died, but you'll be better off in the long run. None of those fish are suited for a 29g. They all get too big. ID sharks can actually reach 4ft long. Dojos and plecos both get over a foot long.

Your best course of action would be to return the pleco, as it'll get too big for your tank anyways, and do a fishless cycle. You'll save yourself a lot of grief and effort. Get yourself a liquid reagent test kit like the API Freshwater Master and a bottle of pure ammonia. It's all you need to fishlessly cycle your tank.

When the tank is all cycled, run your proposed stock list by people here on AA. It's a shame, but many of the employees at the LFSs have no clue. The combined experience you'll find here should be able to sort you out.

Welcome and I am sorry too. Big Jim ia exactly right. It is a shame they sold you all that at once. You'll find a plethora of information and good experience here.

I did research all day yesterday about the fish that I had so that I cold do my best to accomodate them.. We planned on getting some mollies and a pleco and when we got to the store, we found way better fish and chose to get them. The guy never told us how big the shark and dojo would be, but I wish they would have. I felt myself worrying about what we would do with the shark once he his 2 feet! I'm kind of glad that he didn't make it because it would have been hard to accomodate his large size once he got there.
As far as plecos, I've seen huge ones and small ones, and I've always heard that they only grow as big as their environment.. I think I am going to keep him for awhile, and if I need to, I know a few people with tanks big enough to take him if I needed them too.

Okay, now here are my questions..
If I put my pleco in my old 5 gallon tank for the time of the cycling, would that work?

Money is a factor here when it comes to the extra supplies and chemicals for my tank.. is there any other types of chemicals or anything that I could use to substitute for the ammonia or anything else that I need? How much do the liquid testing kits usually run?

As far as plecos, I've seen huge ones and small ones, and I've always heard that they only grow as big as their environment.. I think I am going to keep him for awhile, and if I need to, I know a few people with tanks big enough to take him if I needed them too.

Okay, now here are my questions..
If I put my pleco in my old 5 gallon tank for the time of the cycling, would that work?

Money is a factor here when it comes to the extra supplies and chemicals for my tank.. is there any other types of chemicals or anything that I could use to substitute for the ammonia or anything else that I need? How much do the liquid testing kits usually run?

For fish growing to their environment: that's stunting. It's the equivalent of that kitty-in-a-bottle internet frenzy a few years ago. Although that was apparently fake, stunting is real and cruel and is not exclusive to just plecos. You really should return him, but if you won't then please rehome him to a much larger tank.

You can use a raw shrimp (from a grocery store) to replace bottled ammonia. As it decomposes, it acts as an ammonia source. But you should be aware, it will smell.
The API Master Freshwater Test Kit runs around $30. It is much more accurate than strips and will last you much longer.

The best kit out there is the API freshwater master kit. It has every test you need to have a healthy tank and everything you need to cycle your tank.
Runs about $25 average I;d say. Cheaper on line though for sure

@Jen.. Ahh, stunting.. okay I get it. Well... I'll keep him for awhile and see.. I've wanted to get a bigger tank but starting out the the 29 gallon seemed to make a little more sense to me instead of getting a 55 gallon on the first try. Doesn't it take them awhile to grow so big.. ? I've read on here, and others, that how much you feed them affects how fast they grow.

If I were to use the shrimp in place of the ammonia, and my tank smells, would the water changes help to get rid of the smell ??

A 29g is a good size, but it's actually better to start with a larger tank. The extra water volume makes a larger tank a little more forgiving while you're learning about stocking and water changes and all the other maintenance stuff.

I got my ammonia from Walmart for about $1. Hard to beat that price. The API kit is a bit of sticker shock, but it's cheaper per test in the long run and far more accurate than strips.

I don't know about ways to lessen the smell. I don't use the shrimp method for that very reason. But you generally aren't supposed to do PWCs for fishless cycling.

And with feeding and growth, I'd imagine that'd just be because of malnutrition.

I cycled with ammonia and found it easier due to being able to control the ammonia level. And it doesn't sit and rot in my tank. lol

Okay ... I can probably get away with the ammonia for $1 lol but the test kit would have to wait. :/
What should I do about my cloudy looking water? A water change? I'm scared to do anything because I don't want to kill my pleco on top of it! Could I put him in the five gallon while I do the cycle.. ?

Cloudy water Is bacterial bloom. It'll go down in a few days. Just do daily 50% water changes daily until you get the test kit.

If it were me, I'd do a large water change. The cloudy water is more than likely the bacterial bloom. Be sure to dechlorinate and try to temp. match so he's not too shocked.
Do you have a reputable LFS in the area that could test your water until you get a kit? Not a chain store, because they use strips. If you have a small, local store, ask if they use liquid kits and see if they'll test for you.

Walmart sells the API test kit for $25, btw. It's not marketed as API, but apparently it is.
Walmart.com: Freshwater Master Test Kit: Fish

Okay.. and that means empty half the water out and put in new... right?

Yes. I'd still suggest getting rid of the pleco, doing a fishless cycle, and going back and getting a bristlenose or rubberlip pleco that DOESN'T grow over two feet long.

How do I dechlorinate without having any chemicals or anything?

I would have to go 30 minutes away to get to the nearest pet store for them to test my water, and that would probably have to wait a week or two. :/

I agree that you should return the pleco. Not only is it kind and humane to the fish, but it will be tremendously (I really can't stress this more) easier for you to do a fishless cycle.

FishMom109 said:
How do I dechlorinate without having any chemicals or anything?

I would have to go 30 minutes away to get to the nearest pet store for them to test my water, and that would probably have to wait a week or two. :/

Just buy a bottle of prime when you take the pleco back. *wink* it dechlorinates the water, and detoxifies ammonia and nitrite without making it unusable for the good bacteria to eat.

Back
Top Bottom