Help! My two new fish died!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dechlorinating is simple: Add the recommended dose of dechlorinator to the tank before you refill it. I've used Seachem Prime and Tetra AquaSafe with success. That's all it takes.

FishMom109 said:
I don't know how to dechlorinate!! I don't know how to do anything lol
I've been told that because I can't get a test kit right away that I can do 50% water changes because of the cloudiness in my tank.. Well today it's 1/4 as cloudy as it has been, so that makes me feel better. I planned to do a water change to day..

Would I be able to boil my water before putting it in the tank? Of course not directly in the tank but letting it cool down before doing so.... Boiling gets rid of the bad stuff normally, would this work for my tank as well??

No, boiling sanitizes things. The chemicals and heavy elements stay behind. The steam you see is just water vapor. That's what they do to get distilled water.

BigJim said:
Dechlorinating is simple: Add the recommended dose of dechlorinator to the tank before you refill it. I've used Seachem Prime and Tetra AquaSafe with success. That's all it takes.

I use a bucket to fill my tank, and add the dose per bucket (1/2 tsp). Is that ok?

I just add a single dose for the whole thing. The fish can take the extra dechlorination for a few minutes.

If using a bucket you use the recommended dose for the volume of the water in the bucket. If adding directing to the tank (like with a Python) dose for the volume of the entire tank.
The real problem is that I don't think the OP has a de-chlorinator. That's what I interpreted anyway. If that's the case, does someone have a method that they know removes both chlorine and chloramines? I looked and I couldn't find any.

I had a com plec a few years ago in my 29g for about a year, and it only grew to 6" or 7". I don't know what I did, fed twice a day, cleaned the tank regularly, now I feel bad. Ended up giving it to a friend with a 55g.

I only feed Tony once a day, (1 algae wafer at night), but he also cleans the tank after lights-out. He won't touch veggies at all. lol Sorry to hear that you had to rehome yours. At least w/ your friend's 55g, he/she has a little more room.

This whole fish thing really has me upset. The LFS never gave us any information about these fish, just that they would be fine together and that they all ate the same food. I'm pretty sure this is part of the reason that my others have died. And now to find out that I'm going to have a small whale in my tank upsets me as well. I'm hoping to keep him for a little while, at least until he gets a little bigger and I can find a new home for him or get a bigger tank, whichever comes first. I would also like to find a pleco that doesn't get huge like the bristle nose or rubber lip.. but I'm sure that will take some searching, as I'm pretty sure they don't have them at the LFS where I bought mine.

Thank you so much for all your help. :D

Getting upset is completely understandable. Trust me, I've been there! However, you did the best thing you could do at this point by joining AA. There are many nice people on here that have been in your situation and learned from their mistakes, (myself included). Whatever you do try not to get overwhelmed or frustrated, and should you have any questions, never hesitate to ask. :D

Thank you so much.. I'm glad to know that I have the help and support or other fish owners out there. I originally bought the fish for my daughter, and while she was excited the first day, I have found myself more involved with them than she has been! She does watch the pleco everyday and checks on him/her with me everyday and knows all his parts lol (She's 2 1/2)

Okay so we've gotten all of that out of the way... I've given him a small chunk of watermelon for the past two days because he doesn't seem to be that interested in the wafers and I'm sorta worried.. Once the lights go out, not only in the tank but in the entire living room! lol, he jumps on the watermelon! S/he seems to be pretty healthy, as far as brightly colored and active at night.. but his fins are never up... His "arm" fins are frequently opened but as far as his lower fins and the one on his back, I never see them up.. just wondering if this is something normal... ?? He's very young, only about 2 inches.

Back
Top Bottom