help. need tank mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
people are so crazy about "pristine" water with discus they are 100x hartier then every one thinks even when small sure you wont get the super colour full dinner plate sized discus but it will be a smaller still perfectly healthy discus none the less ive had almost exactly her selection minus the shrimp and the otto in a 45gal long tank with 4 redline barbs, 4 checker barbs, 8 bloodfin tetras, and a school of 12 mixed glowlight/black neon/neon tera and a gibicept with 3, 3-4" discus and a breeding pair of angels that i sucessfully got 3 broods from. shure a 20% water change was needed twice a month to keep paramiters down but if you have a decent bio filter and dont kill it with 50% changes once a week your tank will have higher then average paramaters to start but it will naturaly level it self out floating plants help alot with keeping them down aswell it doesnt need to be 0-0-0 all the time thats rediculous with the discus not doing well in groups the angels do the same thing as the other discus ive seen the shoal together on many occasions

I wasnt trying to be Harsh at all.

Discus are sensitive when young or when wild. But Captive Breed discus are not sensitive as much as they are young (Hence 1-2 weekly water changes).

Doing 50% water changes shouldn't kill your bio-wheel nor make your parameters higher than average.

Yes, Discus and Angels might shoal together, but Most schooling fish (And discus) need to be in groups. Most will get stressed or even result in death with-out their own kind.

My head hurts now .... lol :D

its a 55 gal tank thats an averge stocking like i said i had the same thing in a 45 long and they did great and it didnt seem cramped or over stocked at all the discus and angels only got to about 5" and dont start nagging about "stunted ther growth" that is only a problem with fast growing large fish like oscars, arowanas, and fish like that fish that are supose to be kept large. angels and discus survive perfectly fine smaller sure they might not get bigger if you put them in a bigger tank but they are perfectly healthy non the less

Would you quit it? Tyspot has his opinion and you have yours, and fighting about who's is better isn't gonna help anyone.

ha ha, thanks for all the info people, i think i might go with some angels, i want two, is it nescessary to get male and female?, what type of angels should i go for, new to this thanks

ha ha, thanks for all the info people, i think i might go with some angels, i want two, is it nescessary to get male and female?, what type of angels should i go for, new to this thanks

You will be un-able to tell if they are male and female. <- The only time you can tell is when they are breeding (The female has a round "tear-drop" shaped breeding tube and a male has a cone shaped breeding tube).

Get the ones you want (Just make sure to get them bigger than 2 inches. Ive heard any smaller they are harder to keep alive).

You have a chance that you might get a pair, so dont be surprised if they start breeding.

Emperor tetras, Blue tetras or Gold tetras if you can find them, subtle beauty. I think they're my favorite tetras. You could also try some Red and Blue Colombian tetras. They're always a great addition.

Back
Top Bottom