Help needed with plant destruction!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dangreen7

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am a bit of a plant newbie so please excuse me! Ok so I got this plant for my semi planted tank (work in progress), I have had it for just over one week and it has been shredded up (see photo). I always see one of my Platies (potentially pregnant) hanging around it and nipping it from time to time and I believe this is the cause. So my questions are, is this normal for Platies to eat these plants and is it ok for them? And should I remove the plant or see if it will recover? Thanks any help is appreciated! ?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398895180.187227.jpg

It appears to be a white ribbon plant. If so, it's not an aquatic plant. If so, eventually they will melt and just fall apart. These are very pretty, but can't handle being fully submersed.

Thanks tetra, that's very interesting. I was not told this upon purchase. I guess I should remove it then? Maybe plant it in a pot?

Thanks tetra, that's very interesting. I was not told this upon purchase. I guess I should remove it then? Maybe plant it in a pot?

If indeed it is a white ribbon, they do best in terriaums, like for frogs/toads. I'm not sure planting it in a pot,like a normal house plant, would work, unless you put the whole thing in the tank and let the leaves reach out the top.

Hmm... Ok I will do some research and try and make sure it is a white ribbon, then work out a solution. Thanks for the help! ??

They can but if you want you can remove the aerial roots or you can cut the stem off right below the roots and replant that portion of the plant. I tend to cut aerial roots off that look unsightly as I like water sprite to grow into a full thick plant.

Back
Top Bottom