Help! New betta with cotton wool

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lolliemonster

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My husband surprised me with a half moon last week. I have a 5 gallon tank that has been running for a month and has multiple plants, 3 ghost shrimp and a mystery snail.

My water parameters this morning were:

Gh: between 0-30
Kh: 0
pH: 6.7
NO2: 0
NO3: between 0-20

My betta has a small cottony growth above his anal fin as of this morning. Probably stress? I did a 50% WC and added 2 tsp of salt to my 5 gallon (so far). I have dosed Pimafix and Maracyn Two after removing my carbon filter. Lowered the temp to 75F.

3 hours later it is looking worse :( I called multiple store and can't find methylene blue anywhere.

I've never purchased fish from box stores, and now I know why! Poor thing.

Help would be great!

Laura

I just read a few things saying melafix and pimafix can be dangerous to bettas so maybe just try the maracyn 2?

The poor guy didn't make it :( Columnaris is just too fast.

Melafix has been shown to affect the labyrinth organ in Bettas, but that's at the standard dosage. I ended up ditching the Pimafix anyways and sticking with Maracyn two and salt.

I've never lost a fish from such a rampant illness before :( Unfortunately my entire tank is having to complete the dosing of Maracyn two to kill any lingering bacteria, therefore starting a whole new cycle process.

On to another fishless month :(

The poor guy didn't make it :( Columnaris is just too fast.

Melafix has been shown to affect the labyrinth organ in Bettas, but that's at the standard dosage. I ended up ditching the Pimafix anyways and sticking with Maracyn two and salt.

I've never lost a fish from such a rampant illness before :( Unfortunately my entire tank is having to complete the dosing of Maracyn two to kill any lingering bacteria, therefore starting a whole new cycle process.

On to another fishless month :(

Aww :( I think my goldy might have colunmaries but its not spreading quickly or anything so I'm thinking it must be something else. If you want another betta I bought a baby betta from petco and he is super healthy. A real trooper I must say he's been through alot with my mistakes.

Back
Top Bottom