Help....New to Saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luckyzeee

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just inherited a 30 gal tank w/ and eclipse filtration system. It's an eclipse 2 with 2 bulbs. I set it up with saltwater about 2 weeks ago with live sand and about 30lbs of live rock so far. I was wondering how hard is it to convert it to a reef tank. I would really love to have corals in this tanks but i'm not really sure what is involved with corals. I have read a little bit about them and know that they require special lighting. Since I have an eclipse system I was wondering if I can just change out the lights with some other and add a protein skimmer. PLease let me know what your thoughts are on the subject.
If I can just replace the lights please let me know which lights I should get, i believe the lights are only 18" long. any brands I should be looking for on protein skimmer or lights. (ie what color bulbs)

From what I have read, Eclipse systems don't lend themselves to lighting upgrades. What you need is more intensity, color is largly irrelevent (except for aesthetics). For a 30 gallon I would guess somewhere around 150-200 watts would support most corals. With two 20 or 30W bulbs, you may be able to keep some mushrooms and grow some good coralline algae. Non photosynthetic gorgonians may also be possible and are very beautiful.
As a side note, with LS and LR you already have a reef tank.

Mark

I have a 10g tank with an Eclipse One Hood. I'm using a SuperNova32 Retrofit Kit...PowerCompact SmartLamp included. Model 23132, Cstom SeaLife, Inc. Feel sure they will have other sizes available. You may want more light than this, but maybe you would be happy doing corals that could live well with this.

What about it guys? :wink:

Anemoneman said:
Thanks for setting me straight Bett. That'll teach me to shoot my mouth off when I don't know what I'm talkng about. (yeah right)

Mark

Mark, believe me, I really wasn't trying to set you straight. :twisted: Just wanted to share what I had finally done after much searching & calling around. I would have loved to have found a better solution, but this was the best I could find for a 10g. I really think there would be a lot more options for a larger tank. As you may remember, I ruined my 55g for corels with the copper. However, it has made me a beautiful FOLR tank. I had no space for another larger tank so am playng with the 10g, which I'm really enjoying. :D

Back
Top Bottom