help on starting a Brackish water tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishLOVEfish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was just wondering if anyone's can help me with the basics of starting a brackish water tanks and the best substrate, plants , salt lvls etc n how long I should wait before putting anything in it. Any takers on helping a girl out? Please and thanks :)

sand, very hardy plants, 1.008 SG (this is about average but can be higher or lower depending on the fish in the, but brackish are used to having the levels change often). You will have to cycle the tank before you put anything in there. If you have a cycled freshwater tank with mollies you could slowly convert it to brackish.

No plants will do well in a brackish tank except java moss and I can't think of the other

Ah I c :) well I have to get a new tank n The split my x is refusing to give me any of the tanks fish plants etc even tho I paid over 90% for everything. I'm doing it for the kids they want dragon fish again which are called something else but I.can't remember. So ill have to start a new tank in let it go thru the starting cycle and such . U have both been very helpful I'm thinthinking maybe getting some other fish and slowly converting it with the dragons in there because when u buy them there fresh water. That would be the smartest and safest way for the fish right? And as far as the salt lvls I just get a salt water lvl tester to test it right? Thank u both so much :)

Yep just get a hydrometer to check the levels and when you do water changes just slowly add more salt each time you do a water change till you get it at the level you want

I found that starting my BW tank in FW, then converting it was easiest. Cycle fresh to about 75%, then slowly bump the SG up over a couple 3 weeks to give the bacteria time to convert. There's a bunch of plants that can handle BW in the link below and I included a link to dragon fish keeping too.

PlantGeek.net - Plant Guide

Dragonfish Care Basics - The First Tank Guide - Basic Information on Keeping a Dragonfish in Your Aquarium

EDIT: As for checking the SG, I'd suggest a refractometer over a hydrometer. The difference can be associated to liquid vs test strips, strips works, kinda sort of (ie hydro), but a liquid test gives better, accurate results (refracto).

Here's the one I got and it's a great unit for the price: Salinity Refractometer for Reef Aquarium Ocean - (1) Unit, $6.00 Domestic S&H - $30.00 Total Price!

Good luck!

O thank u all very much ill check out those sites. I'm pretty sure sand would be the best for The dragons cuz they actually do a type of filter feeding with the sand I was told.and do u guys know of n e other fish that are brackish or can be converted?

I plan on doing some more research as soon as I get a break lol my x moved n couldn't take the fish w him so he gave me back the 20gal n 2 dragons n some of the plants ( which ill have to separate.from tanks since were going brakish) :) but got rid of everything else :( but at least I have my dragons back. I'm getting a 29 gal n plan on separating them cuz I know they need lots of room so now I'm gonna have 2 brakish tanks so this is gonna be fun and very exciting :) lol YOU GUYS ROCK n tank u very much :)

java fern, java moss, moss ball,hornwort, some val plant(microworm val) i think thats the name, nana, there more but thats half of the plant i use in my bw tank.

just turn one of ur freshwater into a bw tank, or just take the filter from one of ur other tank. add salt wait 24 hrs... add fish ...

Back
Top Bottom