Help - Oto caught in net

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqualady40

Aquarium Advice Addict
Help, my oto has gotten caught in my net...I had to cut the net where it got stuck to free him/her however the net is still attached....what do I do to free him/her of that piece?

How did he get caught in the net? You mean between it?
If that's the case, taking him would risk affecting his slime coat. Might be a way to gradually remove it.

I was trying to place him back in his tank with the net and he got caught on it somehow...anywho what do i do to get the little piece that is still attached to him off?

I was trying to place him back in his tank with the net and he got caught on it somehow...anywho what do i do to get the little piece that is still attached to him off?

Not much you can do but try to cut it off carefully.

Get a finer mesh net for the future.

If you decide to do this try to catch him and put him in a small bowl of tank water so you can keep him wet. You might need a second pair of hands.

Where is the net on his body ? Pictures ?

Not much you can do but try to cut it off carefully.

Get a finer mesh net for the future.

If you decide to do this try to catch him and put him in a small bowl of tank water so you can keep him wet. You might need a second pair of hands.

Where is the net on his body ? Pictures ?

Right on the tip of the triangular nose...mouth is free to eat just attached on tip of nose I guess where they have itsy bitsy whiskers or something:eek::(
Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Geronica's Album: Miscellaneous Pics - Picture

looks like I was on my own figuring this out so I decided to update this just in case anyone ever encounter this, I placed oto in a shallow container with tank water, took 2 pair of tweezers and pulled the net material left and right all around the sides...yayyy freed him/her 98%....nothing but a couple strings and hopefully they will free themselves....

looks lie I was on my own figuring this out so I decided to update this just in case anyone ever encounter this, I placed oto in a shallow container with tank water, took 2 pair of tweezers and pulled the net material left and right all around the sides...yayyy freed him/her 98%....nothing but a couple strings and hopefully they will free themselves....

Good news. As soon as I saw the pic, I felt more hopeful.

The same thing happened to my Pictus cat. After a few weeks the net fell off. Only difference is the net was on his fin which also Came off so I don't know what will happen here.

I had this happen to one of my bloodfins' fins. I just had to pull it off gently. He was a bit shocked, but he is better now.

I used the best net I had. I used it on the pictus before and that never happened. After moving some pictus cats at my lfs I figured out the secret to avoid this. You need to not scare them. It's like catching a porcupine.

Back
Top Bottom