HELP: pH CRASH with CO2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trafficjam

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just started my 2 litre DIY Co2 system in a 30 gal. planted freshwater community tank 24 hours ago.

When I started I has a KH of 6 and a pH of 7.8

24 hours later my pH has dropped to 7.

Is this going to be a problem?

Any help is appeciated!!!!

Thanks malkore. I actually had read the article you sent... it's indeed VERY informative.

I apologize, I should have been more specific with my concerns: How much and how fast can pH drop before it becomes a problem for my fish.

My concern is that my DIY CO2 pop bottle (yeast) system is pumping out about 20 - 30 bubbles per minute and I am afriad that the pH will drop even more (and faster)!

I don't know how to control the bubble flow without creating back pressure and blowing it up.

The question is: How save is this for my fish?

What is your recipe for your CO2 mix? Sometimes if you put too much yeast in it will blast through the sugar very quickly (Malkore explained this to me a while ago :wink: ) and produce a bunch of CO2 initially, then burn out quickly. Just a thought - reducing the amount of yeast will possibly help create a slower, steadier CO2 production rate.

After 24 hours of steady CO2 bubbling, your tank should level off. Having pH crash isn't exactly ideal, but if it drops and stays there, that's ok. It's when your pH drops and rises back and forth, day in, day out that you'll see fish get stressed...some species even dying.
Its for that reason taht you'll want to have a new DIY batch ready to go when the current one runs out. When you see it taper off, start up your new batch, then trade em out the next day.

Yeast activity is most active in the first few days, then it settles down a smidge and stays constant (if the room temperature is constant) until it dies off at the end.

Use wine yeast instead of bread yeast. In my experience it lasts longer and generates CO2 slower.

Back
Top Bottom