Help plan a 150 SPS Tall Tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GuOD

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone! I posted this on Reef Central also but I'd love to get input from the experts here :)

I need to create a full list of equipment for my planned SPS tank. I honestly don't know nearly enough to properly plan this and really appreciate any input. I'll try to get everything set up in this 1 thread and keep it updated. I'll be taking pictures of everything along the way For pictures of my current setup (most of which will be moving into the new tank, see www.pbase.com/guod/aquarium ).
I am ordering from Miracles and I think they can pretty much do anything

:::Tank:::

Known
48" long, 24" wide, 30" tall, Eurobraced.
Peninsula style. 2 long, 1 short are starphire.

Required
Overflow setup. Either internal/external, I know nothing. I need to measure for sure to see that I can fit an external down the stairs. Probably will need to stick to internal.

Sump. I know nothing about sumps and just want to copy a good design that will fit under my tank nicely. I also need to know about all related equipment. (size/bulkheads(??)/MAG return pumps or something?)

Stand - Should I have it cover the bottom 4" of sand? Should I get it made a bit higher so it's easy to see at standing? I'm ~6'

:::Stocking:::

Known
~100 lbs of base rock
~25 lbs of live rock (may add a bit more)
~4-5" DSB
~Heavy stocking of easier maintenance fish
~Mostly SPS, some other stuff

:::Equipment:::

Known
Outer Orbit HQI 250 T5HO (2x250HQI MH, 4x54W T5 Actinic)
Aquaclear 300w heater x 2
Coralife Super Skimmer 220 (to be replaced)
Seio 820 x 2 (to be replaced)

Required
A real Super Skimmer (heavy stocking + SPS).

Wavemaker - I LOVE the effect where fish swim for a second, and then appear to be pulled back. Want this effect ) -- Assuming Tunze 6100x2 + controller or something

Thanks a lot!! I really look forward to getting this set up!!

It sounds to me like you have a pretty good idea of what you want and need. My suggestion is to check out some tank setups online and see what others have done and go from there. I got most of my ideas online. Try ... www.reefkeeping.com You can look at all the back issues of this online mag and see the "tank of the month" These guys and gals have some awesome ideas and they tell you exactly how they did it! HTH Good luck!

Thanks Ziggy.. I've actually looked at tons already. The problem is that I just don't fully understand the little workings... I also know 0 about plumbing so when someone says "Mag 9 return, 1.5" bulkheads" that means absolutely nothing to me :(

Here are the dimensions of the tank (assuming external overflow) and the corner I need to get by. I can't figure out how to tell if it will fit or not. I'd really appreciate if someone could help!

4gegk5i.jpg

Ziggy953 said:
where exaclty on that drawing are yu putting the tank...

Ah, sorry. That is actually what my stairs (going to the basement) look like. I need to make sure the tank can fit down the stairs.

I originally wanted a 48x30x30 but there's 0 chance of it fitting.

I'm hoping I can fit a 48x24x30tall with 6" external overflow.

If you have a few people helping you move the tank you shouldn't have any trouble. You will just have to be a little creative while moving it. I lived in a house with stairs similar to that and we got a 6' dresser up and down those stairs. Though we did turn it on end and slide it around the corner and then went down the rest of the stairs....I think you will be able to do it though....Just don't try it by your self!

Outer Orbit HQI 250 T5HO (2x250HQI MH, 4x54W T5 Actinic)
Since this is going to be a dedicated SPS tank, you may want to consider upgrading the 250's to 400 watt MH's. 30" is a good amount of water to penetrate.

I've decided to stick with 250s... since I already purchased the fixture. I will have other lower light corals near the bottom.

I'm really just hoping to get the tank/sump setup. I don't know what size holes, what config, what pumps to use, etc.

Back
Top Bottom