Help Planning New 10gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Piggypie

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm trying to plan out a 10gal tank set-up, but I want to make sure it will work out before I go buy anything. I had a male betta for several years, but he died a few months ago from dropsy :( and currently have a female betta I got a few years ago as a "baby betta" (which I found out later probably wasn't a great idea, but she survived and is healthy).
In about a month I want to upgrade from a 5gal tank to a 10gal community tank with a filter/light/etc. which I don't have much experience with. I've been researching like crazy, but can't always find specifics, so any feedback would be really helpful.

Here's the plan so far:

Fish: My female betta, 1-2 albino corys, and a school of 5-6 tetras but I'm having some trouble choosing between neon, black neon, and glowlight tetras.

Plants: A medium Anubias for my betta to rest on; some java fern, anacharis, and a small brazillian pennywort to help suck up nitrates; a marimo ball or two; and possibly some java moss or guppy grass.

Decorations/Substrate: A small bridge which I've had a while and know won't peel, a smooth rock I hope to attach some moss to, and pebble sized dark colored substrate to make the tetras feel safer and show off their colors.

QT/Washing: I plan to dip the new plants in a 1 part bleach to 20 parts water mixture for 3-5 seconds, then rinse them off well with tap water to kill any bacteria/snails/etc., but not destroy the plants. I also want to wash the rock and bridge really well, so I'll probably treat them the same as the plants. I looked into QT tanks a lot for the fish, but because there won't be any other fish in the display tank when I start, and because lots of people believe QT tanks and medication often cause extra stress, I'm going to just treat the main tank as a QT tank unless a fish gets sick.

Cycling: 24 hours set up with filter/heater, then add plants/decorations and Tetra Safestart Plus (which I know is controversial, but I only saw positive reviews for this specific brand), then wait until it has cycled (using a water test) before getting fish.

Acclimation: I'm not sure weather to add the cory(s) or tetras first, but I'll probably stagger them by about a week. After a few more weeks if everything is going well I'll add my female betta. I heard that adding your betta after the other fish is a good idea anyways so the betta thinks of the other fish more like furniture than like food. When I add fish to the tank I plan to float the bags in the tank for about half an hour, adding a little tank water to the bag every 10min, then pour the bag water into a bucket through a net, then put the netted fish into the tank.

Filter: Probably the Tetra Whisper 10i because it's small and will cycle about 90gph which is a little high, but is the lowest rate I can find above 20gph.

Heater: Tetra HT10 which isn't adjustable, but keeps the water at 78* which works for me, and has a light indicating whether or not the water is at that temperature.

Light: TropicSun 50,000k Daylight because it's a well balanced spectrum. I might have to block some of the light though for the tetras and a few lower light plants.

Food: Tetra BettaMin flakes and Top Fin Betta Bits (not sure how I ended up with both), and Tetra Freeze Dried Bloodworms a few times a week.

Treatment: I use Tetra BettaSafe to help neutralize chlorine and heavy metals, and I have API Aquarium Salt but only use it sometimes in QT tanks with sick fish.

Water Changes: It seems like this depends a lot on the specific tank and everyone has a different answer for this. I'll probably watch the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels extra close for a while, and do partial water changes periodically based on that.

I know this is a pretty long post, but I really want to get this right. Again, any opinions on any of this would be super helpful.

Sounds like you've researched this thoroughly!
Be sure to report your success with Tetra Safe Start. From what I've seen it works as long as you stick to their instructions - no water changes at all for a certain time period.

Instead of treating plants with bleach, which can harm them, try using dilute hydrogen peroxide. I'll try to find the exact dilution...Rivercats told me what it was in another post, hold on and I'll try and find it..

I can't find Rivercat's post, but this one has the same info:

If in the future you want to prevent adding something to your tank that you didn't intend on putting in there, a safer option than bleach is hydrogen peroxide (3% solution). You create a 1 part h2o2 to 3 parts water solution. Dip the plants in it for about15 minutes, and then give everything a good rinse under running tap.

Thank you so much! That works out great :D A lot of the other solutions I found used chemicals I wasn't able to fine, but I use hydrogen peroxide for a ton of things, and love the stuff.

Good plan so far but I would increase the cory cats number to 4 and go with neon tetras.

go with neons, they will be beautiful, sounds like youve got a great plan. You actually know about cycling which is a great thing! as far as i know your plan sounds great.

Just so you know, more filtration is always better but yours seems adequate and good.

In my ten i have a betta and two platies and i have to say its great. I also have some anubias in mine and my betta doesnt even rest on the leave, he rests on the top of the submersible heater (rubber part which does not burn him) or under it, or he occasionally will rest within the stems of the anubias nana!

Goodluck and I'm excited to see !

go with neons, they will be beautiful, sounds like youve got a great plan. You actually know about cycling which is a great thing! as far as i know your plan sounds great. Just so you know, more filtration is always better but yours seems adequate and good. In my ten i have a betta and two platies and i have to say its great. I also have some anubias in mine and my betta doesnt even rest on the leave, he rests on the top of the submersible heater (rubber part which does not burn him) or under it, or he occasionally will rest within the stems of the anubias nana! Goodluck and I'm excited to see !
Neons are far too active for a 10 gallon. They need more lateral swimming space than that tank offers.

Neons are far too active for a 10 gallon. They need more lateral swimming space than that tank offers.

I think they'd do fine, especially with some plants to navigate.

If not (since I am no expert) you could always do a couple harlequins, hmm... I think just the betta and about 4 cories would be good though.

I don't know if I would have room for 4 corys. Maybe 3, but they're supposed to get to be about 2" each. I'll look into the tetra swim space more, but if I do get some I think I'm leaning toward the glowlights because I like how different they are, and I think because they're a little less bright my betta might be more likely to just ignore them.

4 corys, 6 tetras, and a betta will put you a little overstocked but that's exactly what I have in my 10g. With all my fish being full grown adults I don't have any issues with water parameters and my fish are all happy.

I also went with cardinal tetras which are difficult to keep alive and haven't had a single death since I added them about 3 months or so ago.

I would be more worried about the tetras harassing the betta rather than the other way around.

Have you looked at the dwarf variations of cory cats? They are much smaller and more suited for a 10g. For water changes, after the tank is cycled, do 50% a week. I would switch the food over to New Life Spectrum or Omega One brands. I had my fish on Tetras foods, and switched over to Omega One, they look SO much better.

As for the light, I would find one in the 6500k range. The plants will be able to use that much better. They use it between the 2500k-10000k range. I don;t think 50000k will work.

Have you looked at an AquaClear filter? Very nice, cheap, and lots of room for media. I have some that are over 15 years old, still kicking. The flow is also adjustable, so an AquaClear 20 would be perfect for a 10g.

Make sure that after you add your Betta to the tank, keep her old tank running and cycled for a while just in case something happens where they won't mesh. It can take a couple weeks for a problem to show up.

Really? :D ...could that be because the corys like the bottom of the tank, the tetras like the middle, and bettas usually hang out around the top? Would that make a difference in how crowded the tank is, other than waste?
If possible, 4 corys would be awesome because I knew they needed company, but I didn't know they needed a whole school until a while ago.
I think I'm still going to stick with 5-6 tetras; it seems like there's a lot of debate over whether the minimum tank size is 10 or 15 gallons.
Does anyone know how to keep the tetras from picking on my betta? Her fins are dark red, but sometimes have blue lines if the lighting's right and she fans them out, and she looks like a normal veiltail.

Really? :D ...could that be because the corys like the bottom of the tank, the tetras like the middle, and bettas usually hang out around the top? Would that make a difference in how crowded the tank is, other than waste?
If possible, 4 corys would be awesome because I knew they needed company, but I didn't know they needed a whole school until a while ago.
I think I'm still going to stick with 5-6 tetras; it seems like there's a lot of debate over whether the minimum tank size is 10 or 15 gallons.
Does anyone know how to keep the tetras from picking on my betta? Her fins are dark red, but sometimes have blue lines if the lighting's right and she fans them out, and she looks like a normal veiltail.

Proper stocking is the best way to keep tetras from picking on your betta. My cardinals nipped at my betta for a little while but then they apparently got used to each other and after that they ignored him. Keeping 6+ will give the tetras enough tank mates to spread any aggression amongst themselves while leaving everything else alone.

So glad you mentioned dwarf corys! Someone told me they didn't exist, so I didn't bother to look them up... They're so cute and would take up almost half as much space as the albino corys!
Does anyone know if the different types of dwarf corys, or if neon/black neon/glowlight tetras have different personalities? If not, I might just choose which dwarf corys and tetras to get when I'm at the LFS based on which look healthier...

Proper stocking is the best way to keep tetras from picking on your betta. My cardinals nipped at my betta for a little while but then they apparently got used to each other and after that they ignored him. Keeping 6+ will give the tetras enough tank mates to spread any aggression amongst themselves while leaving everything else alone.

That makes sense... I'll probably try to go with at least 6 tetras then.
I don't want to leave my betta in the tank if she gets picked on too much, but I want the tetras to get used to her. If the tetras do nip her, how long should I wait to see if they'll stop on their own?

That makes sense... I'll probably try to go with at least 6 tetras then.
I don't want to leave my betta in the tank if she gets picked on too much, but I want the tetras to get used to her. If the tetras do nip her, how long should I wait to see if they'll stop on their own?

Mine were together in the tank for about three weeks before they started picking on my betta and then they stopped within a week. It'll likely be different for everyone but that was how it worked out for me.

I'd say you could get away with doing half that. water changes at that scale are almost always unnecessary when your tank is cycled and stable

At her stocking level, it would be a good idea, honestly. Besides, it's not hard at all to change 5 gallons of water :cool:

So glad you mentioned dwarf corys! Someone told me they didn't exist, so I didn't bother to look them up... They're so cute and would take up almost half as much space as the albino corys!
Does anyone know if the different types of dwarf corys, or if neon/black neon/glowlight tetras have different personalities? If not, I might just choose which dwarf corys and tetras to get when I'm at the LFS based on which look healthier...

Pygmeus and Habrosus. Excuse my spelling :lol:I like Habrosus better, personally :)

Back
Top Bottom