help planning new 55 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mango

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm going to be getting a new 55 gal tank some time this fall, probably between August and October. The problem is that 55 gal seems huge to me right now (prob won't after I get it set up and get used to it, though) and are so many super neat fishes. So first I'll list what I currently have (and will eventually be going into said new tank):

1 african butterfly fish
1 pleco (not sure what kind, need to post pics so the pleco people here can help me out with that, only had him about 3 weeks)
1 red finned shark
6 ghost shrimp
1 ramshorn snail
1 orange colored snail (type unknown, shell shaped same as ramshorn, hitch-hiker when I was first learning about aquarium plants)

The pleco and shark are both very small at the moment, but I know they will grow quite a bit so I think I'm pretty much set on the bottom strata fish, maybe a few cories (they're just so darn cute!) but I'm not sure since the shark will be kinda territorial and there will need to be a cave set up at each end of the tank to avoid too much aggression.

I've fallen in love with congo tetras so they're definitely something I will be getting. They just look so elegant and shimmery in proper lighting.

I might want to get another ABF, but I'm really not sure on that one. When you have multiples of them, do they interact at all really? Mine just kind of sits at the top and patrols the tank occasionally when it's hungry. And when it was at the LFS, all of the fish sort of had their own corner of the tank staked out and just sat there.

So, possible/probable new fish to add to the mix:

5-8 congo tetras (definitely)
3-5 cories (maybe)
1 ABF (big maybe)

What about angelfish? I know most people say they look best in taller tanks, but how would they fare with what I already have? Would they be apt to tear apart the congos even though they're a pretty large tetra?

What about blackskirt tetras? How would they fare with the congos and/or angels?

Suggestions of anything you think would be really neat given what I already have or that you have experienced as being really neat?

Thanks!

I've seen multiple ABF's kept together with no problems, although they were still young. Not sure if they'd be aggressive with each other when older.
Congos and black skirt tetras should be fine with angels.
I don't know if the shark will bother the cories or other fish though.

I'm not too sure of the shark in a community tank yet myself, either. I figured I'd try it and see (with lots of hiding places to lay claim to) and if it's not working then Burt will be getting his own tank all to himself.

My shark was fine in my 29 and when I added him to the 55 he went nuts. He was biting everyone. When I added more fish, he hated every single fish I added and attacked them constantly. My black ruby barb died and I think it was an infected bite from him.

by red finned shark do you mean a red tailed black shark?

My shark has done very well in my community tank, and as long as there is nothing with the same body type, and he has his own hide out.. it should be okay. My shark hasn't bothered me angels or my cories

lyquidphyre said:
by red finned shark do you mean a red tailed black shark?

My shark has done very well in my community tank, and as long as there is nothing with the same body type, and he has his own hide out.. it should be okay. My shark hasn't bothered me angels or my cories

No, all the fins are red. Except the anal fin, that's getting a bit of black to it now but it's still mostly red. It's supposed to be that if that happens you have a male fish.

I don't plan on keeping anything with the same body type. Basically tetras, a pleco, maybe cories, my ABF and possibly (since the idea hasn't been shot down yet) a couple angels. But the final stocking list is nowhere near final. I still have a few months of planning ahead of me.

lovemybarbs said:
My shark was fine in my 29 and when I added him to the 55 he went nuts. He was biting everyone. When I added more fish, he hated every single fish I added and attacked them constantly. My black ruby barb died and I think it was an infected bite from him.

So I should add Burt to the new tank last to give everyone else a chance to establish themselves first? Kind of like when people want to keep barbs' nippy behaviors more under control and add them last or rearrange everything?

EDIT:
A question about angels:

I know bioload for the tetras will be relatively low comparative to the shark and pleco. What's the bioload for angels? Are they a 'messy' fish like plecos or mollies?

Back
Top Bottom