Help please! Strange problem and 3 deaths.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Samphotog

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys, I've got a strange problem and I am not sure what to do about it anymore. My 30g tank got an extremely strong sulfurous (rotten egg) smell yesterday.I did some research and it seems to either be from a large die off of nitrifying bacteria creating hydrogen sulfide or a large buildup of ammonia. The former seems to occur in deep sand beds or, less frequently, in a filter. (This is from research not a diagnosis.) Of course I did tests and there is 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 10 nitrate, and pH 7.4. All normal.

I determined that the smell was actually coming from my AquaClear 70 filter though the water was picking up the smell as well. It was, however, many times stronger in the filter. Since I noticed the smell, 3 fish have died. I removed the others to a QT tank and it seems that all of the stress has resulted in an Ich outbreak which I am treating and the fish all seem to be much more active, though, some are rather pale and one has a cloudy eye.

I have been changing the water on the 30g and the smell is gone now but it was concentrated in the sponge which I had to wring under hot water to mostly remove the smell which definitely killed my BB. Today there is no odor other than the slight fish smell that it has always had but I am reluctant to move any fish back. There is another filter on it so hopefully it can re-cycle quickly. My main concern is that I still do not know the cause.

Just around an hour ago, I noticed the smell again (I've had my windows open and my fan on high since yesterday because it was overwhelming in my room). I checked the 30g and the smell was not coming from it... It's coming from a 10g that is divided with two betta fish. The fact that this has happened in two tanks in as many days is alarming. I've removed the bettas until I can figure this out and get it fixed.

At this point, I am assuming that it is something in my tap water? I use Prime to condition it. This is not Prime that I am smelling. Prime doesn't smell nearly this bad even if you press the bottle to your nose and inhale deeply.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be from? I'm worried it will happen to the QT tank too. Other than water changes, I am at a loss for what to do. If possible, I'd like to get away from this without destroying the BB in the filter on the 10g as well since it has no other filter to fall back on. Thanks!

I'm going to take a wild guess and assume your tap is from either ground well water?
If so then there may be a buildup of sulfur in your tap. If the sponge gets clogged enough restricting flow, parts could become an anoxic environment suitable for anaerobic bacteria some of which do produce H-Sulfide.

Is the smell in your 10gal also coming from the filter?

For now, the best you can do is PWC's and thoroughly wring out the sponge with tank water. I wring out the sponges in my AC-70's monthly, but even then I'm amazed at how quickly they clog. Oxygenated water should kill any anaerobic bacteria.

I'm going to take a wild guess and assume your tap is from either ground well water?
If so then there may be a buildup of sulfur in your tap. If the sponge gets clogged enough restricting flow, parts could become an anoxic environment suitable for anaerobic bacteria some of which do produce H-Sulfide.

Is the smell in your 10gal also coming from the filter?

For now, the best you can do is PWC's and thoroughly wring out the sponge with tank water. I wring out the sponges in my AC-70's monthly, but even then I'm amazed at how quickly they clog. Oxygenated water should kill any anaerobic bacteria.

Yes it comes from a well. There's nothing I can do about that though. I try and keep the sponges cleaned out. Yes the smell is coming from the filter on the 10g's filter. (which is an AC 20)

I'll do that filter too even though I just cleaned it and bettas don't hardly make any mess.

I haven't added any fish and I'm not sure why that would matter since this occurred in two separate tanks.

Sorry to being up an old thread but I just wanted to post an update in the event anyone else has this problem some day. The culprit is API Stress Coat. I don't know if I have a bad bottle or if there's just something in the water that it's reacting to. I don't know why it happens but water changes solve it. Get your filter media out ASAP though. The smell clings to it like crazy if you don't which I learned the first time. It's happened two more times since the original post, most recently about an hour ago just a few minutes after I added some stress coat. That was also when it happened before.

If anyone actually knows why this happened I'd love to know and I guess I'll be staying away from stress coat from now on.

Back
Top Bottom