Help please!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkullAngel

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently found this tiny snail in my tank I have no idea what it is or what to do with it

Attachments

• image-1955442708.jpg
    image-1955442708.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 88
  • image-3829643921.jpg
    image-3829643921.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 84
  • image-3790424079.jpg
    image-3790424079.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 87
  • image-2349515727.jpg
    image-2349515727.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 83
This is a 10 I got the plants a month ago, wisteria (guaranteed to be snail free) and elodea and only noticed this now, and before adding the plant i washed them thoroughly before adding, but I also have an apple snail in here but only 1 , any idea what snail this might be

It's a common pond snail, the chances that you won't get a snail of some type with plants is slim to none unless whoever you got them from keeps assassin snails in their tank at all times. I got some plants guaranteed snail free a few months ago and ended up with some flat ramshorn type, so its time to pick up a couple assassins.

Last edited:
It's a common pond snail, the chances that you won't get a few with plants is slim to none unless whoever you got them from keeps assassin snails in their tank at all times.

I got rid of it 10 days ago, crushed it and guppies ate it

Lol, that was quick I was editing when you replied

Lol yeah, I want to get a couple of assassins but 1) I have my apple snail(so awesome at tank maintenance) 2) idk where to find them, I don't wanna order online

And ever since I crushed that one, no others have shown up

With your apple snail, I'd say avoid the assassin. Assassins can become a hassle themselves, since they also breed.

Besides that, the other snails can actually be beneficial since they borrow and till the substrate. If they become too numerous, it seems that you already know what to do with them.

Numen Wraith. said:
With your apple snail, I'd say avoid the assassin. Assassins can become a hassle themselves, since they also breed.

Besides that, the other snails can actually be beneficial since they borrow and till the substrate. If they become too numerous, it seems that you already know what to do with them.

Numen,Assassin snails are not near as prolific as pest snails laying a single egg at a time instead of a large mass, they also require a meaty diet which makes it pretty easy to control numbers.

Anyway back to the Apple snail, due to the full size of Apple snail's I'm not sure that more than one in a 10 is a good idea as snails produce quite a bit of waste that could become toxic to both the snails and other inhabitants.

I'm planning to make this into a planted aquarium although the plants barely grows and they seem to grow better in my goldfish tank as for the snail, I usually do 75% or more water changes every other week and I have a aquaeon 20 for this tank will that suffice?

Back
Top Bottom