HELP!!! Pleco ruining my tank!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TenaciousTriggerFish said:
I'm not moving him sorry guys but he I'd mine... He is my ZUES that I have raised and haven't been able to find a decent pleco since like him since all the other ones :hide:

Well, I consider that to be an excuse to get a bigger tank. ;)
The only reason I bring that up is cus you like him so much. But all and all it is up to you what you want to do.

Starka said:
Well, I consider that to be an excuse to get a bigger tank. ;)
The only reason I bring that up is cus you like him so much. But all and all it is up to you what you want to do.

Not aloud to go bigger :( but he is so active and happy :) I'm going to keep him in the tank and I'm adding real rocks from a creek by my yard :)

TenaciousTriggerFish said:
Not aloud to go bigger :( but he is so active and happy :) I'm going to keep him in the tank and I'm adding real rocks from a creek by my yard :)

Do you have driftwood in the tank? Plecos like driftwood a lot, maybe adding a big piece will keep him busy.

Scott F said:
Any good fish store ( ie. not petsmart / petco ) should have it. You'll need to prep it for your tank. They don't eat it, but they'll suck / chew on it for nutrients.

How much? And what u mean prep it?

^ +1. Boiling it can be tough unless you have something along the lines of a crab pot to use for bigger pieces.

Prices vary. The store in Portland that I frequent sells it by the pound so a decent size piece only ran me $10.00.

Scott F said:
^ +1. Boiling it can be tough unless you have something along the lines of a crab pot to use for bigger pieces.

Prices vary. The store in Portland that I frequent sells it by the pound so a decent size piece only ran me $10.00.

Just broke my arm at work Tuesday so funds are low but It still may be an option later on :)

I said it in your other thread and I'll say it again, 50 gallons is way too small for a common pleco, especially a 12" one. The reason why yours doesn't hide isn't necessarily because he doesn't want to, it's because the tank is so small that it's impossible for him to. Yes, 50 gallons is still bigger than the 30 gallon he was in before, so naturally he's happier, but by forcing him to stay in a tank too small you are causing his guts to all grow into each other.

Do some research on what happens when a fish is kept in too small a tank. It's painful, and it causes serious health complications as they get older. If you truly love your pleco, do what's right for him. It hurts, I know, but you're shortening his life unless you're willing to upgrade to a 120+ gallon tank. If you do re-home him and want another pleco, look into bristlenose plecos or one of the fancy, smaller species. They'll be perfectly happy and healthy in your 50 gallon.

Luananeko said:
I said it in your other thread and I'll say it again, 50 gallons is way too small for a common pleco, especially a 12" one. The reason why yours doesn't hide isn't necessarily because he doesn't want to, it's because the tank is so small that it's impossible for him to. Yes, 50 gallons is still bigger than the 30 gallon he was in before, so naturally he's happier, but by forcing him to stay in a tank too small you are causing his guts to all grow into each other.

Do some research on what happens when a fish is kept in too small a tank. It's painful, and it causes serious health complications as they get older. If you truly love your pleco, do what's right for him. It hurts, I know, but you're shortening his life unless you're willing to upgrade to a 120+ gallon tank. If you do re-home him and want another pleco, look into bristlenose plecos or one of the fancy, smaller species. They'll be perfectly happy and healthy in your 50 gallon.

Thank you for your concern but he isn't being re homed! For the last time... he is good where he is

If you love the fish, why do you insist on slowly and painfully killing him?

I will never understand why people come here for advice and then ignore it, or worse, argue with the people who give it.

:agree:

It's one of the most frustrating things to hear about people knowingly causing major health issues to a fish they claim to love... They just stick their fingers in their ears and ignore what everyone tells them because its not what they want to hear :banghead:

While I understand everybody concers, and could be valid. The OP is trying to improve the conditions for his Pleco under his own personal conditions. IMO there is not need to criticize him . Neither to assure that is killing his fish slowly and painfully !!!

Do you live in a Warm Climate? I knew of a women you lived in Key west and had a cool Pond and kept here Pleco in? Not joking also I have a friend who is on a cichlid only Board who keeps his Frontosa in a Pond in the summer months....

ejaramillo01 said:
While I understand everybody concers, and could be valid. The OP is trying to improve the conditions for his Pleco under his own personal conditions. IMO there is not need to criticize him . Neither to assure that is killing his fish slowly and painfully !!!

Yes but how could a 50 be any good for a 12" common plec?

I recently had a 13" common Pleco in my 45g tank and he died because he god stuck in the rock work...if I would have known his fate I would have re homed him in a heart beat. It's not fun to hear but it truly is inevitable and your Pleco will die eventually.

I know that it is a awesome fish and no one wants to get rid of something that they have raised from that small and watched it grow but you have to consider the fish. The tank is just too small and leaving him in there is sealing his fate.

Honestly once they get that big they really don't clean the tank as much as they dirty it.

And I have also seen common Plecos in heated ponds and warm climate ponds and they grew to over 24".

IMO take him to a lfs and trade him in for a new one and possibly some other fish that work with your tank size

OP has stated opinions, others have stated opinions as well. The point has come across loud and clear. Ultimately, regardless of what anyone else thinks, it is the OP's tank and fish and the OP's decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom