Help plz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VicMitch

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Not sure if this is the part of forum but need a bit of help plz
Im new to all this hence the trouble im having.
Ive recently got myself a tank, everything was looking great for the 1st cple of wks, then its started 2 get cloudy, dint change any water or add new fish.
I changed 1/4 of the water left it 4 a cple more days it just seemed to be getting worse.
I bought an under gravel filter changed 1/2 the water this time and still 2 days later still cloudy.
What am i doing wrong and how can i fix it plz?
Thanx

Ive recently got myself a tank, everything was looking great for the 1st cple of wks, then its started 2 get cloudy, dint change any water or add new fish.
I changed 1/4 of the water left it 4 a cple more days it just seemed to be getting worse.
I bought an under gravel filter changed 1/2 the water this time and still 2 days later still cloudy.
Thanx

Can you list your tank specs (eg. size & params)? What color is the water? I've seen pink, green, white cloudiness--to each it's own cause.

Are you using just an undergravel filter for filtration?

Oh, and Welcome!

What is in the tank right now? Also do you have a test kit to test the water? We need to know a few things to be able to help you. How big is the tank? Did you cycle it? Do you have filters other than the UGF? If you have a test kit we need to know ammonia levels, NitrIte levels and NitrAte levels. Find out these things and we will help the best we can.

This is what it looks like, as well as the ugf its has a fluval 4, its a 27 gallon tank, i dont have a test kit, summit i should get.
It looks greener on the photo than it actually is
img_1010580_0_0baee6f121c356479707095366ce7784.jpg

I would do the large water change and get a test kit. Hard to tell what is going on without knowing the water readings. Are there fish in the tank?

The picture does not show up for me. That is my problem where I am viewing it from, but usually green means algae. Does the tank get direct sunlight?

no sun light gets to the tank, ill get a tester kit 2morow and post what the results are as i wont have a clue lol, and yes theres fish in the tank.
4 silver sharks
7 neons
1 plec
1 angel
2 gourami
3 tetras
3 platies
1 weather loach

Thanx

Can I assume from what you are saying here that all those fish where in the tank since day 1 then? So, the tank was not cycled? How did you put in the undergravel filter only removing half the water? If it were my tank I would do 50-75% PWC's daily until the water cleared up. I can only assume that the tank is doing a cycle with fish. Hopefully they will survive. You should get a test kit as soon as possible to verify this.

I know this might be a silly question, but has the gravel been washed? I have had that happen to me where the water turned brown, but once my gravel was full of algae and when i did this the water wen all green on me, Since i got my pleco i hope i never see that green algea again

your tank is severely over stocked first off... but thats not what is causing your problem.. your best bet will be to do a 50% waterchange for about 5 days in a row... for 2 weeks.. lights out.. and cover the tank... no light needs to get in there.. its a sever pea soup issue that wont go away unless you kill its lite source... in the mean time.. keep your temperatures down.. (77-78*) and no lights on at all... hopefully that will cure your problem....

SECOND PROBLEM.. your bala sharks will outgrow that tank in a matter of a few months.. (id give them 1-2 months max....) they need a 55gallon+ (preferably 75 for 4...) get them to a friend who has the right size tank or take them back.. they wont make it n a 27 gallon.

Yea It happend to me once just do a BIG water change and Turn the lights off and it will clear out

Leave the aquarium light on much? GW is usually caused by an imbalance in ammonia/nitrates and low water movement. UG filters are poor filtration at best and if I were you I would add a powerhead at the very least or purchase a good HOB filter like an emperor 280 for your tank. If you add a powerhead only, I would go with the powerhead/UV lamp combo, they run about 40 bucks. And I personally wouldnt change 70-80% of the water at one time, 20-40% each day over a few days is a much better solution imo.

Back
Top Bottom