Help! Setting up new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Slgandy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey there! I just got a 90 gallon about a week ago and I'm wanting to start it up...right now There's just water in it but I'm wanting to do a community/semi aggressive tank...so far this is the list I've come up with
1 rainbow shark
Rams ( not sure how many)
Angel fish( not sure how many)
And 6-8 Denison barbs
I was also thinking a pitcus catfish but I didn't know how they would do with the rams

I do want this tank to have lots of plants but I'm fairly new to live plants so would love some insight...also if there is any other fish or if anyone knows an amount I should get please let me know! Thanks!

I'm still in the process of figuring this stuff out so I don't have lights yet....my husband really wants LED but he just likes the look and hasn't actually done his research and from everything I'm reading LED is bad for plants....are there good ones you suggest

Slgandy said:
I'm still in the process of figuring this stuff out so I don't have lights yet....my husband really wants LED but he just likes the look and hasn't actually done his research and from everything I'm reading LED is bad for plants....are there good ones you suggest

Maybe someone else will chime in and help out here. I've never used led lights so I can't really comment on that. All I've ever used is t5

LED's are not bad for plants you just need to get the right type of LED's a system set up for a Salt Water tank isn't going to work as well in a Fresh Water planted tank.
I'll leave the technical jargon for those more versed in the subject of lighting.

But the basic run down on LED's High $ setups that are ready to plug in as soon as you open the box big $$$ up front but savings over the long haul in your electric bill. A DIY setup with your own customized layout is still big$$$ upfront but it's custom fit to your situation and will recoup the cost over the years you have it running.

T5HO, metal halide all emit more heat and draw more electricity then LED's so you have the high initial cost as well as having to replace bulbs at least once a year and pay a bit more each month on your electric bill.

LED's are the future of almost all lighting since they draw so much less electricity and produce much more light for minimal wattage.

Yea I like the idea of it...I actually a dog trainer at Petsmart and I know we have some kind of LED set ups there so ill have to check what kind...thanks!

Back
Top Bottom