Help sexing blue ram?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talvari

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a single blue ram in my 55 gallon community tank and Ive been trying to figure out what sex it is so that I can get a second one.

Unfortunately, at just over an inch and a half, it seems that it has characteristics of both sexes? No pink belly, but it has a blue sheen over its black spot, and its dorsal rays are long.

Anybody wanna take a look and venture a guess?

img_1977262_0_db459d991b750b4c59e5081d0c6c3480.jpg

i reckon its a boy. only because fin profiles can change quite a bit form breeding as can spots etc but i think the pink on the belly is the trick cause from what i have seen the girls are always a little pink on the belly but when they are full of eggs its a more rich colour. i may be tottaly wrong though

Male all the way. You can tell by the top fin being taller in the front, color, size and bottom fins. I was breading them for awhile.

Didn't even realize I got replies! Thank you!

Is it suggested that they are kept in pairs? Right now hes the only ram in a 55 gallon community. He seems pretty happy - always swimming around and exploring - and he comes right up to the glass when you sit by the tank to say 'hi'. Should I attempt to get him a female? Or should I leave him be?

May lead to problems

Didn't even realize I got replies! Thank you!

Is it suggested that they are kept in pairs? Right now hes the only ram in a 55 gallon community. He seems pretty happy - always swimming around and exploring - and he comes right up to the glass when you sit by the tank to say 'hi'. Should I attempt to get him a female? Or should I leave him be?

A pair would be fine, however Rams get aggressive when breeding - they will chase anything that comes near the spawning spot - other problems can also occur are male rams pestering females to breed when not reading, I lost my favourite fish to an injury by a male wanting to breed when she wasn't ready, even though they had breed successfully in the past.
2 males will also go at it over territory also.

Ram pairs are great, but it envolves work - with the need to separate them at times, so it just depends if your willing to do the extra work.

Then I think I'll keep him by himself. I do have a couple extra tanks that I could fudge with to move him if I needed to, but I'm already working with a pair of breeding bristlenose plecos, so I'd rather have the extra tanks for them if need be.

Thanks for the advice! I've never really dealt with cichlids before I bought my ram and my angel.

Good choice

Then I think I'll keep him by himself. I do have a couple extra tanks that I could fudge with to move him if I needed to, but I'm already working with a pair of breeding bristlenose plecos, so I'd rather have the extra tanks for them if need be.

Thanks for the advice! I've never really dealt with cichlids before I bought my ram and my angel.

Good choice, I've seen to many people rush out to buy a second Ram only to have there enjoyment spoilt by breeding behaviour shortly afterwards. I was breeding up until a few weeks ago when I lost my female, I currently have 2 young blue Rams and a male Bolivian Ram in my main tank, the young Rams are still probably still a good month and half from breeding age and I'm really enjoying the standard behaviour. My old GBR is still in my breeding tank sulking, I'll try to repair him in a month or two. I do have a pair of Appistogramma,s breeding in my main tank, but they are two small to cause any damage, but it doesn't stop them trying - its very funny to watch them tackle my large Bolivian Ram, it like having an annoying wasp flying round you.

Back
Top Bottom