help!! sick ryukin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mommyof3

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My reb and white ryukim goldfish abbygail is turning black around her lips and becoming lathargic wt cud this b please help

Hello welcome to AA!
First we need some more info.
What size tank?
How long have you had it?
Is it cycled?
What are the readings of ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH?
Any other fish?
When was the last water change?
At the moment it sounds like ammonia/nitrite poisoning. Do a large water change using dechlorinated, temperature matched water.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...-to-Starting-a-Freshwater-Aquarium/Page1.html

The tank is 2.5 gallons she is the only fish in the tank, i do 50% water changes every 2 days temperature match with water comditiomers and check ph amd ammonia levels daily amd complete water change once every 2 weeks... readings r all within normal ranges.. did full water chamge this morning wn black lips were noticed
... she looks as though she has a black moustache

mommyof3 said:
The tank is 2.5 gallons she is the only fish in the tank, i do 50% water changes every 2 days temperature match with water comditiomers and check ph amd ammonia levels daily amd complete water change once every 2 weeks... readings r all within normal ranges.. did full water chamge this morning wn black lips were noticed
... she looks as though she has a black moustache

What are you using to test with and what are the exact readings? Test strips are known for being highly inaccurate.
A 2.5g tank is too small for her. What is happening, because goldfish have a huge waste output, is the ammonia is rising too high between water changes. Your never going to be able to get on top of it in a tank of that size with a goldfish in it. The ammonia is causing the black marks. They are burns. :(
The rule of stoking with goldfish is 20g for the first and 10g for each fish after that. So ideally she needs a 20g tank or larger.
What I'd suggest it twice daily 50-75% water changes and getting yourself a API liquid master test kit. She going to need a bigger tank ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom