Help- South American Puffer with folded fin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yaxley

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all,
Just noticed my Puffer swimming (quite happily) with his left fin folded in, I'm worried he's been attacked- the perpetrator will be removed tomorrow, will he be able to heal himself if given proper time and care?
Any help and advice please!

Yax

Pictures- he's trying to use it as you can see, maybe not as bad as I thought but something is still wrong.

Attachments

• image-4136872689.jpg
    image-4136872689.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 75
  • image-2435809807.jpg
    image-2435809807.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 84
If your SAP look like its struggling to swim, then take him into an environment with slower current. These things heal with time.

He looks like he is slightly overfed and maybe overgrown teeth. Hard to tell by your pics though. Any bites should be treated. I think melafix is a good product to use for open wounds.

Hi Terrance, thanks for responding. He is very hard to photograph. He does look overfed in the first images but that was shortly after his feed (once every 2 days). You aren't wrong about the beak getting long though, another concern...

Here is a picture of him today, he is using the fin and looks ok,

I have some Myxazin I used to treat stress spot, will this have the same effect?

Yax

Attachments

• image-4139681392.jpg
    image-4139681392.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 81
sorry bud, i have never heard of myxazin. its up to you to do some research now ;)

Its better not to use medicine at all. I like adding supplements to my puff's diet . I feed my puffs raw frozen seafood. When I thaw the seafood, I get a bowl and fill it with aquarium water and vitamins (I use vitachem).

I saw some people trimming puffer teeth, and I'll eventually trim my puff's teeth and then I'll post it online.

Back
Top Bottom