Help stocking a 10g betta community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SushiRoll

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm starting a new planted 10g and really want it to be a betta community. I would like to add a small school (5-6) of both pygmy corys and neon tetras along with a betta and maybe some ghost shrimp. I read online that these guys are good tank mates, but I want to get another opinion. I don't want any of them to get hurt so if this doesn't work out, what are some other fish that would be good with a betta? Would it also help to get a female as opposed to a male? I do have a local fish store that might be willing to trade bettas if the first one I pick doesn't work out.

Neon tetras and bettas are not temperature compatible. Bettas like it in the low 80's, neons like it in the mid 70's. Pygmy cories like it there as well, so neither would be suitable tankmates for a betta.

My 2 cents.....you can keep them all at 78 degrees. I'd still remove the betta because of aggression issues. Betta will eat shrimp and possibly attack anything in the tank with it. Really depends on temperament. You might have a hard time feeding it with tetras in thier as well. Bettas are on the slower end and not really heavy competitors for food. I think the tank would be good minus the betta.

Food for the Fishies

I have a little betta tank with some neon tetras in it as well. I have 3 female bettas and they live happily with the tetras. In order to reduce the amount of water changes I do, I use a high quality food that it healthy for both of them. For only $12 this food is amazing. Here is the link: https://www.ebay.com/i/264088773561?chn=ps

For a small tank it really helps keep the water clean and basically eliminates the need for water changes.

Just keep the temp at 78 or 79 and they'll all be fine being fed the same food. Goodluck!

Back
Top Bottom