help stocking a 5.5 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxwellag

Aquarium Advice Addict
I need to stock my new tank. I want multiple fish in there, so they are going to have to be small. I don't want a single betta in there. I would prefer some nano or micro fish. Please suggest ideas.

i honestly dont think you can have multyple species maybe a couple of tiger barbs or something

T-man02 said:
i honestly dont think you can have multyple species maybe a couple of tiger barbs or something

No!!! Tiger barbs need a 29+ they are very active fish. Honestly, I don't think you could have a multi species tank, unless you are referring to inverts too.

You could do a pair of small killifish, and some shrimp.

Fishkeeper26 said:
Also, what kind of filtration do you have?

the tank is a fluval chi, and the stock filter was really bad. It didn't clean the water very well at all. I put my ten gallon's previous filter on it and it is super clean now. The flow rate of the ten gallon's old filter is 90 gph.

the tiger barbs

Tiger Barbs need to be in a tank larger than a 5 gal .... 29 gal should be the minimum. You should have a minimum of 6 if they are the only Barbs. They are active fish constantly shoaling about and establishing a hierarchy in the shoal. You'll see males go at it for dominance of the shoal and 6 Tiger Barbs will help to keep the aggression on themselves. In a 5 gal however, that's too confined a volume for them.

maxwellag said:
What about some kind of annual killies?

I think annual mollies could work, there's a similar thread to this going on, I'll try to find a link...

Edit** killies not mollies!!!!!

Tiger Barbs need to be in a tank larger than a 5 gal .... 29 gal should be the minimum. You should have a minimum of 6 if they are the only Barbs. They are active fish constantly shoaling about and establishing a hierarchy in the shoal. You'll see males go at it for dominance of the shoal and 6 Tiger Barbs will help to keep the aggression on themselves. In a 5 gal however, that's too confined a volume for them.
as i said before i wasnt thinking straight. i have alot going on right now. sorry that i made a mistake.

Would you be willing to at least flip a coin for the sake of your Betta? Heads he gets to move into the suitable Chi...tails he stays in the 1 gallon tank you have him in. At least that way he has a 50/50 shot of having a suitable home instead of living in a milk jug.

Last edited:
eco23 said:
Would you be willing to at least flip a coin for the sake of your Betta? Heads he gets to move into the suitable Chi...tails he stays in the 1 gallon tank you have him in. At least that way he has a 50/50 shot of having a suitable home instead of living in a milk jug.

I just flipped a nickel. Tails (haha get it? Fish have tails) was the betta, heads was the guppy idea. It ended up being heads. I will see if the betta gets along well with the guys in my ten gallon community. If not, he is gonna get his own five gallon sometime soon.

As a 5.5 tank is really small your choices are few
However i think you might want to try Danios. i had kept four danios in a five gallon tank for a year. A five gallon is so small! i didnt have any heating and they were fine. They are quite hardy and you wont any baby problems
although i must add that everyone has there own opinions about the fish that can go in a five gallon tank. Maybe guppies also.

Back
Top Bottom