Help! Stocking More Tetras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shmily

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone. Some of this information I have posted on a previous thread but now I have new questions.

I have a 60 Gallon rectangle tank that measures 48 3/8" wide,12 7/8" deep, and 24 7/8" high. I have hiding places in fake coral and fake plants. I have an aqueon quietflow 55/75 power filter.

Right now I have 6 skirt tetras (3 black skirt and 3 gold skirt) and 3 black kuhli loaches. The woman at petsmart said it was fine to have three loaches but I am finding out online that they should be in groups of 5 or more.

So... I am going to add 2 more Kuhli loaches (for a total of 5). I am also going to add 4 Melini Cory Catfish. (Dont worry, I am not adding all the fish at once. I know this is going to be a slow process.)

Q: How many more Tetras could I add to my tank? I was thinking of getting a school of bleeding heart tetras or just getting more black skirt tetras. If I go by the 1gallon per 1inch of adult fish rule then it seems like I can only get 4 more tetras. It doesn't seem like a lot of fish to me but I am new to this and I don't want to overstock my tank.

Thank you!

U can go to aqadvisor and plug in all the fish your looking and see what they say for stocking. I have used it and it's very helpful!

Hello everyone. Some of this information I have posted on a previous thread but now I have new questions. I have a 60 Gallon rectangle tank that measures 48 3/8" wide,12 7/8" deep, and 24 7/8" high. I have hiding places in fake coral and fake plants. I have an aqueon quietflow 55/75 power filter. Right now I have 6 skirt tetras (3 black skirt and 3 gold skirt) and 3 black kuhli loaches. The woman at petsmart said it was fine to have three loaches but I am finding out online that they should be in groups of 5 or more. So... I am going to add 2 more Kuhli loaches (for a total of 5). I am also going to add 4 Melini Cory Catfish. (Dont worry, I am not adding all the fish at once. I know this is going to be a slow process.) Q: How many more Tetras could I add to my tank? I was thinking of getting a school of bleeding heart tetras or just getting more black skirt tetras. If I go by the 1gallon per 1inch of adult fish rule then it seems like I can only get 4 more tetras. It doesn't seem like a lot of fish to me but I am new to this and I don't want to overstock my tank. Thank you!

The inch per gallon rule is extremely outdated and not really seen as an effective way to measure proper stocking anymore. Sadly it's a rule still spread by many pet store employees. With that said your tank still has plenty of room. I'd recommend perhaps getting another filter to help a bit but you could easily do like 12 kuhlis (they do much better in larger groups) and 10+ black skirt and 10+ gold skirts. Depending on what you decide to do the size of your tank would also allow you to look into a few larger fish too. Here are some fish you can research:

Angelfish
German blue rams
Apistogramma
Pearl gouramis
Boesmani Rainbows
Denison barbs

Just as a final note black skirts can sometimes get a little nippy with other fish so you'd want to a little careful with them.

Thank you very much! I was looking into some boesemani rainbows before. I love them but my only concern is that I read they prefer hard water and I have very soft water unfortunately. I too have heard the black skirts can be nippy. They mostly seem to chase each other around during feedings. The rest of the time they have been peaceful. I still would rather everything else in the tank be quick and either their size or bigger just in case though. Thanks again, I appreciate the suggestions!

I agree with upping the loaches to at least 8 if not 10. The skirts are nippy and any new schooling fish need to be able to hold their own.

Thank you! Do you think If I have 8-10 loaches it would be bad to get the melini cory cats? Would that be too many fish inhabiting the bottom? Also, do you think a school of bleeding heart tetras or boesemani rainbows would be able to hold their own against the black skirt tetras?

Also, has anyone heard if boesemani rainbow fish can do well in soft water? I read they like hard water but are pretty adaptable. I don't want to stress them. Thank you again everyone for your input!

How soft is your water?

I am not sure how soft exactly but I am going to get it tested this weekend and buy better test kits. Being a newbie I got the API test strips and it looks like it is around a ph of 6.5-7 but the dgh is hard to read. It is a color between 0 and 30.

Schmily I have some of the softest water in the US and my Boesemanis are happy and thriving :)

+1 to using aqadvisor.com to double check that your stocking idea is good for the amount of space/filtration you have. It's really an invaluable tool.

Back
Top Bottom