Help stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stardaddy2016

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello every one ive got a 6 foot 650 liter tank one 1000 lh and pne 2000 lh filter on it at the monent i have about 10 midas cichlids plus about 5 African cichlids in the same tank and it works really well but really looking to get a few big fish to go in there with them for the kids can any one help me out so i know what im looking for please meny thanks russell

Sent from my SM-G925F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's a pretty good sized tank, but Midas cichlids get fairly large. 10 Midas cichlids alone will have your tank seriously overstocked soon. Also, they have high conspecific aggression, and will start fighting soon if they haven't already. Eventually, you'll likely notice 2 fish pairing up. When/if that happens, keep those 2 and re-home the rest. The africans don't belong in that tank at all; they should be re-homed immediately for their safety.
If you decide to keep a pair of Midas cichlids, you could choose a couple larger-growing New World cichlids to go in the tank as well. Oscars, Black-belt cichlids, Red Devils, or Texas cichlids are all good choices IMO (although some people discourage mixing Central and South American cichlids, I find that, chosen carefully, they cohabitate well).
Other fish you could consider would be larger-growing New World catfish. Anything that maxes out at 8" or less would probably be too small for tank mates for Midas cichlids though.

Back
Top Bottom