HELP - String Algae Problem !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ahuff2

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I've had my tank for about 3 months now and its been maturing nicely. I'm obsessed with it and haven't had any major problems. I hope to one day have a saltwater tank after I feel I've mastered freshwater and have planned a good tank out. My problem today is that I've got brown and greenish string algae growing on everything. Plants, gravel, Buddah head decor (lol), I can't get rid of it. I assume I'm leaving the lights on too long, or perhaps I shouldn't use the lunar lights at all? I don't know what to do, please help. :lol:

Well brown algae and green algae is a bit different. Possibly pictures?
Also, I know there is a type of algae called hair algae, so you might want to google that and check if it might be similar and/or that.

~Best Of Luck to you!

A picture would be of great help in identifying what algae it is. When having algae issues try running your lights only 6 hours a day. After the problem is addressed you can up them slowly to a max of 8 hours as long as you have no algae return. Also depending on the type of algae some can be spot treated with liquid carbon or Hydrogen Peroxide. Are you using any ferts? Whats your nitrate and phosphate levels?

Hello,

I assume I'm leaving the lights on too long, or perhaps I shouldn't use the lunar lights at all? I don't know what to do, please help. :lol:

I developed that problem in my 6ft tank- turns out that algae thrives under blue lights. I stopped using my blue lights for a few weeks and bought a pair of SAE to clean my Anubias and driftwood etc. they did a terrific job, and now I just put the blue light on for an hour or so after I turn the other lights off just so I can see what my upside down and feather fin cats and my gibbiceps get up to.

LED lunar/moon lights don't put out enough light period to aid or encourage any type of growth, algae or other. I leave these lights on for hours in both the 220g planted and the 2- 6g Fluval Edge planted. Algae outbreaks are due to an inbalance of lights/CO2/ferts. The only somewhat exception to this rule is diatoms which are generally always a problem in newer tanks where there is excess silicates in the water, which diatoms use. But even in this instance reducing your photoperiod helps lot.

Here's some pics - !!

photo(16) - Copy.jpg
photo(10).jpg
photo(13).jpg
photo(14).jpg

Thanks so much for the help so far! I'm using frequent water changes and lighting time changes to remedy for right now. I have test strips but they're the rinky-dink cheap ones, and they say everything is okay. I heard they're wildly inaccurate so I ordered a more advanced kit but it's not here yet, so until then I can't tell you how my levels are.

I feel it's also important to mention that in my water is:

API: Aquarium Salt
Tetra: Aquasafe
Tetra: FloraPride

From what I can tell in the pic's you have BBA (Black Beard Algae), Hair Algae, and the lighter whiitish gray stringy stuff looks like Staghorn Algae. Definitely run lights only 6 hours for starters. Salt is not needed in a planted tank as many plants do not like sodium in the water. Using liquid carbon such as Excel, API CO2 Booster, or Gglutaraldehyde (which is the most economical way to dose liquid carbon in a large tank) would help. As will knowing your parameters when your test kit arrives. But you can spot treat all three types of algae with a liquid carbon or Hydrogen Peroxide. What you would need to do is pull up 2-3ml of Carbon or Peroxide for every 10 gallons of tank water in a needless syringe, put the syringe as close to the algae as possible and slowly squirt. Since you have quite a bit you will have to do this over several days. Also if using Peroxide you need to turn the lights and filters off for 15-20 minutes while spot treating.

Back
Top Bottom