HELP! This won't go away!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheRealFF

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been battling greenish cloudy water/algae bloom for 3 or 4 weeks now... It just won't go away!!!

I thought it was my flakes that added the excess nutrients so i stopped using flakes. Im now feeding my fishes daily with garlic soaked frozen brines and phytoplanktons (very small treat everyday so they would be healthy).

I did weekly WC of 10G the last 2 weeks. The water got better for 1 or 2 days after the WC then became greenish again.

I reduced my light cycle to:
4PM - 5PM: actinic + moonlight
5PM - 11PM: actinic + 10,000k + moonlight
11PM - 12PM: actinic + moonlight
12PM - 4PM: moonlight

I added phosguard and AC. It helps for 3 - 4 days then the water just turned green again. Im changing them weekly

I upgraded my skimmer from Skilter 250 to CSS 125G, a week ago. The new skimmer is pulling out nice dark green dry skimmate.

I tested the water yesterday:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 2
Phosphate: .3
PH: 8.4
SG: 1.024
Ca: 600

The water got abit better since i upgraded the skimmer but it's still very greenish. If i look at the tank form 1 end, i wouldn't be able to see thru the other end. That's how cloudy it is. My fishes and inverts are still doing fine. One of my hard corals (i don't even know what it is til now...) hasn't been opening up since the water started to decline tho.

What am i doing wrong? How to fix this problem? How long is it gonna take? My parameters seem fine.

Millions thanks to anyone who can help me to achieve crystal clear water again :D

Actually your PO4 is too high, I would guess that is what is feeding your problem. Do you use R/O water?
May want to cut back on feeding. Some folks only feed once or twice a week. Check your source water for PO4, you may need to add a DI to your purification system.
If your source water is good, do some more frequent water changes. This along with less feeding should do the trick.

Just a little bit off the topic. If you have corals or plan on them your calcium is pretty high at 600. Needs to be around 400-450.

I have an RO unit, which i use to filter tap water into drinking water. I top off every other day with this water. I tested the water and it doen't have any PO4 or NO3. I will try to feed every other day but doesn't feeding small amount everyday and feeding average amount every other day add the same amount of PO4 into the tank?

Im planning to blackout the tank for a few days started today. I turned off my light this morning til now to see if it helps. I'll monitor how my corals and fishes do.

I can't really perform more frequent WC's :( My dad is only free on weekends so one 10G WC per week is all i can do. We buy SW from the store. Im trying to talk my dad into buying salt and make our own SW but... the guy at the LFS said we should buy it from him b/c he has better filtration system and my dad is buying that...

Im not a fan of chemical cures but i'll try what hara suggested. I'll keep u guys posted

Thanks guys

FF: You are correct feeding every other day and feeding 1/2 that amount each day is the same. Problem is people tend to feed more when they feed daily instead of half the suggested amount. If the water you use to top off and do WC's with has zero PO4 then about the only thing left is the amount of food you are adding to the tank. Sounds like you are just feeding too much food. If you have a RO/DI then make your own water. Make you get the salinity right. Got a hydrometer?

Back
Top Bottom