HELP w/RCS!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TenaciousTriggerFish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Have a one gallon custom Xbox aquarium I made (it's actually about 1 and 1/4 gallons) anyway I have in it
2x small assassin snails
3x beautiful RCS
And a pond snail infestation
My problem is my RCS don't move! I come in and look at them and they are in different places or positions but i never see em move...
Why?

What is your temperature? That is the first thing I was thinking. Mine go all over.

How long has your tank been up, they pick at and clean plants, moss and filter pads, and do you have lots of plants/moss?

They like very clean water. How are your parameters?

I find mine tend to have specific times when they come out and move around. They seem to know when regular feeding times are and show up for those. Otherwise, they like to be in cracks and crevices in the driftwood when they aren't out combing for algae and leftover fish food.

Autumnsky said:
What is your temperature? That is the first thing I was thinking. Mine go all over.

How long has your tank been up, they pick at and clean plants, moss and filter pads, and do you have lots of plants/moss?

They like very clean water. How are your parameters?

It doesn't have a heater but the water doesn't get to cold...

I have one plant and also a piece of sponge glued to the outtake do its not creating a typhoon in the tank lol

I have good filtered water for this tank...

ownedbycats said:
I find mine tend to have specific times when they come out and move around. They seem to know when regular feeding times are and show up for those. Otherwise, they like to be in cracks and crevices in the driftwood when they aren't out combing for algae and leftover fish food.

I feed them shrimp pellets... Is that correct??(as in the pellets are made out of shrimp) an I don't see them eat much.. I try to feed em at night...assuming they would nove around and eat at night

Personally speaking, I find that RCS in small numbers don't move about as much. My original 14 in my RCS tank moved about a little but didn't become more active until I set the temp from 72F to 76F and I started getting baby shrimp.

Shrimp are scavengers, they need variety. So pellets are okay, but add some algae wafers once in a while, and a pinch of fish food (a very, very tiny pinch - shrimp don't eat much)

ownedbycats said:
Shrimp are scavengers, they need variety. So pellets are okay, but add some algae wafers once in a while, and a pinch of fish food (a very, very tiny pinch - shrimp don't eat much)

Ok I will do the flakes (I already do the algae wafers for the snails

Do you have a thermometer to see how cold it is?

It can be colder than you think. My RCS are in 78F and 79F. Move around all times of night and day.

Shrimp pellets aren't really for shrimp but just made out of shrimp. I recommend only using it for an occasional extra variety. It probably doesn't have much added nutrition/vitamins in it.

Use flakes very sparingly, especially if it is a brand with lots of fillers in it.

You should look for Hikari sinking wafers for omnivores. Mine love those. Although I feed Shrimp Cuisine on a regular basis.

NOTE: as previously mentioned, careful in how MUCH you feed. You only need a tiny bit of the wafer to feed. Over feeding is bad and can foul your water up.

Someone told me their stomachs are like the size of their eye, I know mine isn't lol, but maybe it is still a good way to think of how much food to feed them. So a pack of food should last you forever. Variety is nice, mine like the Hikari algae wafers too and I also give them other foods occasionlly to mix it up.

They will eat bio film from the tank if it is established like several months/3-4 months. And stuff accumulated in the filter pad! Feeding so few shrimp should be a very tiny amount. Don't forget to check your ammonia levels on a regular basis.

The ambient temperature of the room may be to cool for them, I keep all my shrimp at 75 deg and they are very active all times of the day. You only need to feed them a tiny little spec (smaller than a pea) of algae wafer every couple of days.

Back
Top Bottom