Help w/ stocklist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redswi

Aquarium Advice Freak
We are going to a species auction later this month, and I thought we should have our stock figured out just in case....We will be looking at fish, and plants (probably should plan the landscape also)...Anything we buy will be housed in our 55 (bare bottom QT tank) until the 40 gal Corian tank is done...

Tank specs (when done)
40gal / Freshwater community
15 gal wet/dry/sump
CF lights @ 1.6wpg (to start, will up the wattage later w/CO2)
layered soil / sand substrate

These are fish that we like....
Bushy Nose Pleco (L-144)
Medusa Head Pleco (L-34)
Gold Nugget Pleco (L-18)
Gypsy King Tiger Pleco (L-66)
Queen Arabesque Pleco
(Definitely 1, but not sure which)
Yo-yo Loach
Golden Do-jo Loach
Odessa Barb
Cherry Barb
German Blue Ram
German Gold Ram
Bolivian Ram
Patrizi Killifish
Neon Tetra
Cardinal Tetra

We are looking for your thoughts on compatibility???...What to keep?...Remove?...Add?...What are you keeping?...ect.

you will be having more than one neon or cardinal wont you? i know they are schooling, and i have heard about bigger fish eating neons. dont some of those fish get pretty big

That's a whole lot of plecs for a tank that size...how about a couple of BN, and one GN? Three would likely be enough I'd think, esp. since GN get fairly large (well, medium sized as far as plecs go) and they are all considerable waste producers. BNs less so, but still.

Yoyos, you'd need 3 of minimum. Dojo (weather) loaches are coldwater fish...sure they can adapt to tropical just like F8 puffers can adapt to freshwater, but it still doesnt mean its good for the fish in the long term.

Cherry barbs are lovely: a very peaceful barb (probably the most peaceful of the lot) so a group of 6 of those would work just fine.

I would opt for a pair of rams in the mix, of one type you list (GBR, or the gold, or the bolivian, but not all three).

Killifish I don't know much about.

Tetra: you could go for a group of 4 cardinal and 4 neon and they should school together as a group of 8. With the 6 barbs as well this is an ideal number of mid-column level fish to be looking at.

So, here is what I would probably go with:

2x BN plec
1x GN plec
3x Yoyo
6x Cherry Barb
4x Neon Tetra
4x Cardinal Tetra
2x Ram (of one species)

I've never used a wet/dry/sump filter before, only canisters and internals. I don't know of anyone else with one either. Do you mean a HOB filter? It could just be me being confused about terminology ;-) :)
Anyway, with this mix of fish you will need to filter your tank well, and keep up with water changes, but I know you probably already know that :D

I'm sorry, I didn't mean all the fish listed....that's just crazy...Those are just some that we would like to choose from...I know we listed a few plecos, but were only looking for 1....as far as the rams we were thinking of a pair of blue, and a pair of gold (just thinking , need advise on that one)....I like the 3x Yo-yo's, 8 tetras, and 6 Barbs...

I've never used a wet/dry/sump filter before, only canisters and internals. I don't know of anyone else with one either. Do you mean a HOB filter? It could just be me being confused about terminology

The wet/dry filter is a DIY project that offers both mechanical, and biological filtration(chemical filtration can easily be added)...I estimate it to turn the tank over 5.5 times per hour,and give me an easy 27 percent water change...similar to this...
[/url]http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=12592&N=2004+22778

Back
Top Bottom