help! what is this thing in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bowsNrams

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I woke up this morning to find this in my tank..... Someone please tell me what it is! The only thing I have that can get above the water line is two apple snails. It looks like some sort of alien is going to pop out of it! jk

I am treating the tank for ich right now, on day 4 of treatment.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120409_094657.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120409_094657.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 100
That is a clutch of mystery snail eggs. In 3-4 weeks you'll have baby snails if it's fertilized

Since you have two apple snails those are definitely snail eggs
If you want them to hatch make sure they don't touch water it'll kill them hey have to stay dry and humid until they hatch
If you don't want them then take the eggs out and try to get that area wet so hey don't hatch

Does anyone know if the ich treatment will affect the eggs? I am using API super ich cure at half strength. It has 3.6 Mg malachite green & 60 Mg nitrofurazone per packet & I use 3 packets each time I have treated. I am using half dose BC I have lots of scaleless fish. I had a Molly miscarry a few nights ago, I some BC of the treatment. I just wonder if the snails will turn out the same way. Even if they do survive the ich treatment, will my clown loaches eat the young snails?

Okay, just be careful, if you are going to let them hatch you are going to have to do something with the babies, otherwise you will end up with more snails than you know what to do with. And yes, I have heard that clown loaches love to eat snails, but I haven't had any problems with my kuhli loaches eating trumpet snail babies.

If the ich treatment has copper, it could really affect your snails.

If you don't want your snails laying eggs in the future, raise your water level so they don't have a dry place to lay eggs.

The only reason my water level is low is because I had to raise the temp to speed up life process of the ich. It is not ever this low normally, but since the water is so much warmer I lowered the water level to agitate the surface to create more oxygen for the fish. I will figure out what to do with the snails then raise water level back up once done treating ich.

If your filter has a big enough opening they'll get in there too. Mine laid 5 clutches on the top of the lid to my filter. They weren't fertilized though.

Mine never laid eggs in the filter. I traded my hatchlings at my lfs for credit. The guy I deal with gives me fish for fish unless it's a higher priced species

Back
Top Bottom