Help, whats wrong with my danio!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmaglich

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ive had my danios for about a month now. Lively bunch of 5, never any problems. Now, Ive seen him all day swimming almost vertically near where the filter water comes in. And, It seems like the bottom of him is tinted redder in places more than it has before. Definitely tinted redder than his tankmaters. What could be wrong? He just swims in place for the most part, and moves around the outside parts of the tank. Help?? Thanks a lot guys!

Is this tank only a month old? Was it ever cycled? How big is the tank? Do you have any water parameters like Ammonia levels, nitrite, nitrate, etc?

**EDIT**

I just searched your past posts and it seems that you are currently cycling your tank (correct me if I'm wrong). Red gills are a sign of ammonia poisoning. Do a large (50%) water change as soon as possible. I would recommend another one tomorrow as well. If you have test kits, see what your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are at. I'm guessing ammonia and nitrite are probably both pretty high. Cut back your feedings to once a day and only what can be eaten in a minute or two.

Tank is a little over a month old. It was cycled using bio-spira, and I dont take parameters besides ph, which is fine. All other fish (2 angels, gourami, 3 cories, pleco and 4 other danios) are fine, but this guy is just chilling at the top. Seems like hes constantly moving his mouth, and is hanging out under the filter. Thanks for the help, i dont understand what is wrong with him...

Yeah, definately get some more paramaters other than ph. Especially since the tank is so new.

Moved to unhealthy fish forum. Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings would be extremely helpful. Most lfs will test the water for you. Is the reddish areas streaked at all? Any bloating? Appetite changes?

JRagg is quite right doing a larger water change of 50-75% would be step one in helping this fish. It may very well be ammonia or nitrite poisioning. Do you have an airstone at all in the tank?

By the sound of it, it could be either intestinal track worms or stomach worms which would explain the redness of the belly. The worm would be rather large and be nearly incurable. I suggest either waiting until death of the fish or induced death of the fish and do an attopsy. This way you can see how long this worm is. (Be warned they can easily be up to 6 inches in the intestinal track of a 2 inch fish)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom