Help with Balloon (Angel) Ram

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

n2nn2n

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just got a pair of Balloon Ram from the LFS and was told it was definitely a pair. I'm new to rams. Anyway, they're peaceful for the most part, but every now and then I notice one will chase the other and, it looks like, he pushes into her. I was told that it was normal behavior.

However, I notice that today (5 days since I got them), one of the rams has the right fin nipped and is always hiding. Is this normal behavior? are they truly male/female? On top of that, the nipped fin looks like it has a white spot. would this be Ick?

[edit] Now that I think about it, could it be that the Ick causes him to rub himself on the ricks? I noticed he would swim at rocks and plants and twist so that part gets scratched. Would that then cause the fin to rip? I never actually see any nipping done by the other ram...just pushing/bumping. Any thoughts anyone?

Photo 1: Agressor
Photo 2: Injured

pH: 7.4
Nitrate: around 5
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: 0
Temp: 76 F

Thanks

-------------------
29 Gal, 4 Harlequin Raspora, 6, Neon Tetras, 8 Rummy nose tetra, 3 Ghost Shrimp, 2 RCS, 2 Angel Rams.

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 84
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 60
arghhh....was going to take the injured one back today, but woke up and found the injured one dead.

Do yourself a favor and return both of them and get some standard gbr, those Balloon rams are an abomination.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

yep, that's what I'm doing. on my 6th day of their 7 day return policy. Got them because wife and kids thought they were cute.

Not cute when they die in a couple weeks ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom