Help with changing substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stonefly

Aquarium Advice Regular
So, I am pretty new to this site. I have read alot about people buying some sort of sand and cleaning it, then using it as substrate. What I have not seen is anyone asking how to change from gravel to sand. Will this require cycling before adding the fish back to the tank? I really like way sand looks, but i am unsure of how to go about switching to it from gravel. Any help would be appreciated!

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If I can get Eric Moseley to help he showed me how to go from gravel to pool filter sand super easy.. I do not know how to add a link or I'd try for you it's super easy though

I took all fish out. Did a make shift gravel thing to take it out.. A colander works well. Threw the gravel in a old tipper ware, washed my sand thouroughly. (Take water down really low but not empty) then add sand slowly into the tank. Then to add water to fill it up again place a large dinner plate on top of the sand you have added firmly and pour water on to that to minimize the sand blowing all over the tank. Also remember to keep filter and bubblers off at this time ..once u have added a good amount of water and it's full start you're aqua scape then check levels. If it's all good add the fish back in and if sand is all settled you can turn the filter back on and it shouldn't hurt the filter.

Careful because some sand can get in and wreck the motor which is not good but you will really enjoy the look of sand and it's way easier for cleaning.

Depending on te fish a lot of white sand wth dark slate rocks stacked looks amazing! IMO anyway. That what I used and I love it..anyways sorry for then long post but hope that helps!!

Typically it doesn't start cycle again unless u change all the aqua scape and filters.

Thank you! When you clean the sand, do you still use the same vacuum that you used for gravel?

Thank you! When you clean the sand, do you still use the same vacuum that you used for gravel?

I do some guys put a mesh over the end of the vacuum. I personally don't I just pass it over the top and it picks up everything so I guess it's a different technique but same vacuum

Yeah, I saw a video on you tube of someone using this technique. I will try that before I put mesh over it. Thanks! Do you suggest keeping all the water and reusing it or doing more of a 50% water change when I put the sand in?

You can keep the water of you want but you might as well do a wc since your moving that much water

I still use same vaccum and just hover over the sand after I stir it a bit and it doesn't take much sand at all in the uptake.

I wouldn't use all the same ether maybe some as u leave level a bit to put sand in it I'd change all water. I did. It worked for me. But your choice!! Keep in mind it'll be cloudy a day or so cuz of the San stirring around once the filters on but clears up really nice.

It would be a 100% wc I would never recommend that no keep at least half of the water bare minimum is 25% I never change more than 50% unless it's to fight something else like ammonia or nitrites

Cool. Thanks for the help both if you! I got my sand and I think I am gonna change out my gravel with it tonight. I will post before and after pictures later. I appreciate it!

Well I did it. It looks good. When the water settles I will take some pics of it and my fish and post them. Let's hope the fish like it.

Fish are acting a little Wierd right now. I am guessing it is because it is such a big change for them. I put all new rock in to. Totally rescaped it for them. Thanks again for all your help!

Fish are acting a little Wierd right now. I am guessing it is because it is such a big change for them. I put all new rock in to. Totally rescaped it for them. Thanks again for all your help!

If you rearranged you rocks and your substrate than that's normal mine got used to the change the next day

Actually, I just noticed my water temp is down 3° that probably part of the behavior change right now.

Back
Top Bottom