Help With clownfish, sea serpent and banded coral shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PumaKrieg

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought these saltwater species from Live Aquaria that i recently bought.
: Sea Serpent
: Clownfish (small)
: 12 Scarlet Hermits
: 12 Turbo Snails
:1 Cleaner Shrimp
:1 Banded Coral Shrimp

The first day after aclimating my species they all seemed fine and ate heavily. However, after the 2nd my clownfish stopped eating and hasnt eaten for 2 days now. He shows very rapid breathing, however does not seem to hide. I also saw that underneath his third stripe, a white line was in sight, each hour it got larger and larger until it is as long as him. It looks almost as if his stripe is unwinding! My water quality and tests are fine considering I already have some hard to keep species in my tank that have been living peacefully for a few months now. I do not see any signs of aggresion except it seems the banded coral shrimp looks like it is trying to sneak up and attack it constantly. My other problem is my sea serpent is missing a leg and i am guessing the banded coral shrimp caused this. However, my friend insists that either my blenny, doctorfish, or my clown wrasse is causing it. ( all under 1 inch except blenny ) My friend's best guess is that the blenny did this but he shows no sign of aggression, it more or so looks like he is protecting him. Several times it appears that the banded coral shrimp is trying to sneak up on the serpent but the goby scares him away. Please give me info on who you think is the culprit is and how I should solve the problem. I also have another tank with fish all over 2.5 inches that i could move the banded coral shrimp into.

Other than the fact your tank is seriously overcrowded, the clown could be suffereing from an internal parasite/bacterial problem or possibley brooklynella. Hard to say without more detail.

As for the starfish, it's most likely not the animals in your tank but rather the way you acclimated the star to the tank. Stars and other highly sensitive invertebrates need to acclimated very slowly. Dripping the water over several hours is the only way to avoid acclimation shock with species like this.

Cheers
Steve

he's posted this before on "fish only" we already had given him a lot of advice... but he refuses to admit his pH of 7 is too low, and that his tank was overcrowded...

Back
Top Bottom