Help with coral id and requirements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kgaz41

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can someone please help me find out the I'd of this coral and please give me some info on the coral and requirements and where to place the frag...

Attachments

• image-1766711915.jpg
    image-1766711915.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 107
Welcome to AA and glad you found us here :) .. what you have their are zoanthids. They are one of the easiest, brightest corals available on the market. They can handle a variety of lighting and flow but I find mine do best in low-medium flow with low-medium light which I have a 36" 6bulb t5 tek elite.

Thank you!! And thank you for the advice I have the frag placed into a hole in a rock on the bottom of the tank. Is there special way I should place the frag also there is one more coral I need to have Id I will send a pic ASAP my lights I have on my tank are power compacts 96watt daylight and 96 watt antic with a the moonlight strip it's a 75 gallon oceanic tank the tank is a little deeper then most tanks. I run both power compact bulbs during the day for Bout 8-10 hours then I run the antic for about 2 hours before I run both and for 2 hours before I turn the moon lights on.....

I'm also waiting for my led lights to come in that most of my LFS keep there coral under the Apollo reef lighting.. So they should be able to grow almost anything

Welcome to AA!

On a tank that deep, the lights you currently have will not support even zoanthids. You will want to upgrade as soon as possible if you want to keep coral. PC lighting is ok on smaller, shallower systems, but it loses PAR extremely quickly at depth. I have seen those apollo led fixtures in action and they seem pretty solid. You may need 2 of them though to get appropriate coverage end to end in a 75. If you do need 2, you will definitely want the fully dimmable model. If you go with one, it would need to be mounted fairly high above your tank to get adequate coverage, which has the disadvantage that not all of the light is going to get into the tank, and depending on what room the tank is in, can be quite annoying (when you mount it up high its like having the sun in the room with you :) ).

Yes I should have the led lights in the next cupple days just waiti g for them to arrive at my LFS I'm bought the newer model that has the built in dimmer but the nice part about them is they come in two models the square shaped one then the one I purchased witch is 30 inches long and about 10 inches wide so i bought one for 350 I'm gonna start with one Nd see how that work and move up and get 2 if I need but the nice part about the oceanic tank is that there is no bar going across the center of the tank so there so t be no shadow.. I'm just not to sure how to place my coral and if I should move the zoas up higher in the tank till my leds come in..

And thank you all for the friendly welcome and all the help.. It is greatly appreciated since I'm just starting out in the reef world that has Already became so addicting.. So all the help I can get and learn is at this point is Amazing

If you will have the lights in the next couple of days, I would just leave the zoas until you get the new lights. You will want to start with LOW settings on the new fixture and slowly ramp up over weeks. When I first went to LEDs, I nuked a bunch of coral because I set the light intensity way to high. After figuring out what works, it turns out I am running my fixture at only 35% white intensity and 45% blue intensity.

Well the tanks I'm buying my coral from are useing the Apollo lights I'm buying so should I match there intensity

Yes, to a point. Remember the height they are mounted and the depth of the tank effect the intensity.

Well some of them open and some don't. And I have 5 polyps opening with color then a few that are opening but are brown is this normal it only been in the tank 2 days now and moved once is this normal or am I loosing the coral!??

Back
Top Bottom