Help with crypts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mijo51380

Aquarium Advice Freak
My crypts Wendii have a bunch of holes in the leafs is this from lack of root tabs or is something eating it? I have DIY root tabs osmocote smart release ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387326381.119635.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387326398.938598.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387326410.549489.jpg

Have you moved them or messed with them recently? If so, it's probably just crypt melt. If not, it's probably a nutrient deficiency.

Are you dosing any ferts? Do you not have root tabs, or is the osmocote in there? When was it least replaced?

I'm dosing PPS and just replaced root tabs on Sunday. I have 4 crypts and only one doesn't holes in it but they are only like three weeks old

I have some Otto cats and a few SAE they're always on the leafs could they be eating them? I thought they were cleaning it

Neither of those fish cause much harm to plants. Some species of plecos will though. How much time passed between switching out roots tabs? What osmocote product are you using?

About two weeks and its osmocote indoor outdoor smart release

I know on my swords I have to replace them every two week or you can see through the leafs like in that last photo

I think osmocote plus is the only osmocote with micros. Could it be a micros deficiency?

Ok I went home for lunch today and the crypts are worse today all 4 are almost gone. I don't get it there only three weeks old.week one they melted a little. week two started to get nice color and fill in now week three holes everywhere nearly all gone. Could this be from the flourish excel?

I have been slowly adding excel trying to do a full tank treatment for bba. The bba stopped growing at about 30ml a day and my dwarf hair grass started growing super fast and other plants were growing good too.Sunday I did up it to 35ml this is on top of the co2 I'm running with my paintball tank.

How big of a tank is this? Excel generally won't cause melting except if you only just started it or at high doses. The fact that your sword is also having problems suggest that its a nutrient issue unless you're massively overdosing excel.

And after some research, it looks like that osmocote formulation only has NPK macronutrients in it, no micronutrients. Double check on the container to see if any micronutrients are listed, eg iron. If not, that's probably your problem.

Ok will do when I get home. So what do you think I should do?

Double check the osmocote ingredients, and if it doesn't have any micronutrients, look at switching to either root tabs (Flourish, etc) or osmocote+ or similar product. If you have Flourish liquid fertilizer or something similar, make sure you dose that regularly at least until you get a root tab that contains micronutrients.

Ok the osmocote only has NPK.I am dosing PPS-PRO dry ferts should I be dosing flourish trace or iron on top of the PPS until I get more root tabs?

And this is what I have on hand flourish comp, trace,iron and API leaf zone

Back
Top Bottom