Help with diagnosis of my Bettas illness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SciFyDi

Aquarium Advice Regular
In April I noticed my Betta was looking kinda odd. His fins were frayed and he developed a cloudy dot in his eye. I also noticed his red colors had turned to white and he had what looked like ulcers around his head.

I posted pictures of him on a site specifically about Bettas. Several people told me he looked fine and that he was just marbling as he got older. I asked on here and was told he had a Hexamita infection.

I treated him with a week of Melafix and nothing happened. He seemed okay until about a month ago when doing water changes he started breathing really heavily and puts his face vertically into the gravel. He acts like this for a day or two and then gets better. He is also having trouble swimming. I really thought it was swim bladder and I restricted food for a few days and fed peas. It seemed to have no effect.

He still loves to eat and will kill himself to get to the top of the tank to get his food when he sees me. He will jump up and bite my fingers as well. This has me really confused as to what he has. I’ve been feeding Wardley Betta pellets and Tetra blood worms. I added in Northfin veggie formula pellets a few days ago to try to give him some extra nutrition.

After he eats he goes back up to the top of the plants and just lays there. He looks like he doesn’t feel good and barely has any energy.

He is about two years old and lives in a five gallon with Guppies and Ghost Shrimp. He is kept at about 78-81 degrees. I was doing 40% water changes about twice a week but I stopped because of how I’m he was getting. So I’m changing about 50% once a week. I just changed the water yesterday so I don’t have any Nitrites, Nitrates or Ammonia ph is about 8.4

I’m hesitant to treat him because I’m not sure what it is any also because the other fish are healthy. I did buy some Kanamycin but I’m not sure if I should treat. I took some pictures of him.

Thank you

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 50
Pictures weren’t showing up

Attachments

• 1A40F647-7020-42E0-897B-EE65140B24B7.jpg
    1A40F647-7020-42E0-897B-EE65140B24B7.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 238D4BC3-E99B-4955-8AD3-E187ECB8EBFB.jpg
    238D4BC3-E99B-4955-8AD3-E187ECB8EBFB.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 54
  • D6BB95BE-3377-48F8-9F43-4B9E145051CE.jpg
    D6BB95BE-3377-48F8-9F43-4B9E145051CE.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 54
Research "Septicemia" I believe it's known to affect Bettas. I also believe Kanamycin is a suggested med to treat it.

Did you post before??? Sounds like your water maybe bad if your Betta is showing physical affects after a water change. Have you tested your tap water??....if you are using tap water.

Yes I had posted about two weeks ago about my blood parrots having ammonia burns. I thought it was either my tap water or maybe a new bottle of API stress coat I had just opened up had gone bad or had something wrong with it. I switched to prime and my fish seem to be better with that. Ammonia burns cleared up on the parrots and I did a water change with the prime late last night and the Betta did just fine with that.

Am I just using the Master test kit to test the tap water?

Is the Kanamycin safe for the other healthy fish in the tank with him?

I think it's worth testing your tap water. Fill up a clean glass with tap water and test it with the API. If you are testing for pH, leave a glass of tap water out on the counter for 24 hours then test it so it can off gas.

Kanamycin won't harm your other fish but if you have a quarantine tank to isolate your fish and medicate then that's always better.

Levels in tap water look okay. I have one for the ph still sitting out.
I started the Kanamycin today. Is it okay to leave the filter running for aeration as long as everything is taken out of it?

Attachments

• 723D188E-CEAB-480B-B4EB-6CA1B0B9652D.jpg
    723D188E-CEAB-480B-B4EB-6CA1B0B9652D.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 41
I didn’t think I had any ammonia? I can see it looks like a little bit there in the photos. I’ll re do it later when I test the ph.
Last night I found the Betta floating on his side at the top of the water. I really thought he was dead. I touched him and no movement whatsoever. I took him out of the water and was trying to decide what I should do with him when he suddenly started flailing about. I put him back in the water quickly where he freaked out for about five minutes and then wedged himself behind the filter. This morning he came over to eat and then went back to a plant to rest.

Right now he looks okay but exhausted. I really don’t know if he will make it through the treatment. Or if I’m just prolonging his suffering.

Back
Top Bottom