Help with dividing tank to save fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I researched some and went to pet store just for a Firemouth since my shark was attacking a dwarf gourami that was in the setup that I moved to another tank but was assured I should get more cichlids and they'd be fine so I ended up with them and then learned they are incompatible. I've had them for a while so I've grown a big attached to all. It is a bit confusing researching online since I seem to find so much different information and I'd rather hear from other people's opinions directly.

So if I keep my Firemouth and shark in the same tank then should I still separate my cories from these two also?

Also if anyone watched my videos can you please tell me if all my fish seem to be acting healthy too? They seem fine to me but again I've never had experience with any of these and not sure what exactly their "normal" would be.

Thanks yall for the information so far!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The Cories might be ok, if you use a 55g or larger and have plenty of plants and wood to offer hiding places and sight breaks.

Give the Shark a good cave/fort to defend at one end of a long tank and he can be very grumpy near his spot and not necessarily attack everything
In the rest of the tank.

One issue is if a big fish tries to swallow a Corey, Coreys have defensive spines that may have venom and they can get stuck partway into a big fishes mouth and it can end up killing both fish.

I think you'll be okay with the fire mouth and the shark with the Coreys.

The Convict can be an issue, I've seen them beat the crap out of bigger fish, but I know them mostly from sales tanks and not from living with them at home.

Rainbow Sharks are very territorial, give them a territory they can defend with room for the other fish to get away and they can be ok.

Are those just called plain dwarf cory cats or do they have a specific color name? I love their markings. Cory cats are def one of my favorite I believe.

In the video are my Corydoras habrosus. A dwarf species.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422827493.142827.jpg

I also have C pygmaeus, they stay under an inch. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422827548.500169.jpg

I keep them with other Nano fish species in a 10g tank. I will be resetting my other rimless 10g soon.

I only have 4 of each for now. I will be upping the schools to 5-6 each when I can. I have to make a special trip to a store that carries several Nano species.

I don't use common names with a lot of Corys as many common names are confusing

Example: Peppered Cory is C paleatus

Salt and Pepper Cory is one name for C habrosus. I call mine habrosus for exact ID.

CAE can hit 12" and will suck the slime coat off of sleeping or slower fish as they grow bigger. They can become quite nasty as adults. The only suck algae as babies.

Please don't start multiple threads with same topic. It's against the rules and confusing.

1. Peaceful tank
40Breeder
8 of each of your Cory species
Live plants
Tetras or peaceful Rasboras

2. Convict tank
30g or larger
Convict
Compatible fish ?

3. Semi Aggressive tank
55g
Rainbow Shark
Firemouth
Compatible fish

4. African Tank #1
55g

5. African Tank # 2
55g or bigger

6. CAE tank
100g
CAE
Fast semi aggressive fish

You must have a lot of money if you want to keep all these fish.

This basically how many tanks you need for a proper placement. Yes it's 6 tanks but that's how many shouldn't live together. The Africans and new world cichlids have been mixed before with various results so it's never recommended. The Cory's have no business with any aggressive fish. The Chinese algae gets too big

When I started I lost a ton of fish because I just picked fish on how they looked your not the first one or the last one either.

We always say rehome because 6 tanks is too many to take care off but it's the best answer.

Sorry if it sounds rude but your going to hear some say it works you can mix this or that .....somebody tried it. Bottom line is if you mix fish like that just be prepared to lose fish.

I'm not really that caring about the cae so I will just rehome him. But I believe I can move the other fish around I already have a few tanks I can move them to I just need to get a couple bigger tanks.

What is a better algae eating fish to have with the different cichlids recommended? Or none at all?

I've seen others have plecos and I have a bristlenose in one of my other tanks doing ok, would another one of him be able to go with any of the cichlids? I read that they will eat snails so I guess I can't get any of those.

4. African Tank #1
55g

5. African Tank # 2
55g or bigger

And if I put my peacock in a 55 g would that be ok? I have read mixed things online from between 40g to 70g minimums and I can put him in a 55g but that is the largest I can go so if he requires a 70g then I will have to rehome him.

I see that you recommended 55g and I think that is the most common thing I've read.

Peacocks like open water some caves to hide in otherwise they won't color up but they have some of the brightest colors hence the name ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422848989.209730.jpg

Yeah 55g is the minimum I have seen some in a 40g but that's like 3 peacocks only

Yeah 55g is the minimum I have seen some in a 40g but that's like 3 peacocks only

How many would you put in a 55g ?

6 tanks is ok if you don't plan on many other social activities, I'm currently running 7 systems. Although one is temporary.
All ok.
I wouldn't jump into it though! It's a progressive thing, start with maybe three.
That's my opinion though, I had three within six months. Then four for a few years.
If you think you can manage it, USE A DIARY! Really important so you don't lose track of where you are.

(Pick your favourites)

Ok so I gave away my CAE since apparently he'll be a fish killing monster (the petco chick made him seem so innocent).

I returned the pink convict since I believe she attacked everyone else.

A friend of mine is taking in the peacock in the meantime since I don't have a tank cycled for him yet and they have a peacock Cichlid tank.

I placed my Firemouth with a pair of angels and some cories, I read people said it would be ok? Please let me know if you think this is wrong.

The rainbow shark and Lyretail are sharing a tank, they don't seem to bother eachother much, but let me know if you think they will bother eachother and I can split them up but I was hoping I could keep them together.

If I can't keep the Firemouth with my Angels then can I keep my Lyretail with the Angels and the Firemouth with the shark? So far they seem to stay out of each other's ways but I don't know if my Firemouth will be nippy with their fins or not after he gets acclimated. I know I couldn't keep the shark with the Angels and it would help consolidate tanks if it would work one way.

Back
Top Bottom