Help with DIY droftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PAwrangler08

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I found a nice piece of driftwood I would love in my 120g. It's been soaking in regular tap water outside for about 2 months now and I have changed the water about once a week. Still hasn't completely sunk but I am will to put it in my tank with a small rock on top of it. Also there is some green algae on it, and today while going over it I noticed some small red worms (possibly blood worms?) crawling on it. I have never boiled it, should I do anything to it before putting it into my tank?

image-2014305920.jpg

image-1567086983.jpg

image-2005788967.jpg

Done this a couple times. I change the water every time it changes color. Those are the woods tannins being released. Once a week is not enough. You should also have something already weighing it down. It will help with it getting completely saturated. Your should also power wash it or scrub it as you rinse. But not too rough that you start eroding it. Boiling of you can now and before you put in your tank is advisable. Also keep out of the sun. So you don't get algae growth. Let us know how it goes.

Man, I'd like to luck up on a nice piece of driftwood like that. If it was me, I would probably boil it just to make sure you're not introduction anything unwanted into the tank. Plus it would cut down on some of the tannin that soaking may have not released.

Nice piece by the way. I see your already weighing it down. The more you rinse and change the water the faster you'll get rid of the tannins. If it does t seem to get better than it might not be right for your aquarium.

Man, I'd like to luck up on a nice piece of driftwood like that. If it was me, I would probably boil it just to make sure you're not introduction anything unwanted into the tank. Plus it would cut down on some of the tannin that soaking may have not released.

What if I don't anything large enough to boil it in?

If it was me, and since you have that nice sized backyard. I'd go by a big pot, have a campfire and boil it.

Or maybe some chlorine solution?

Or if you don't feel comfortable with doing that. You could put the wood in your bath tub and pour boiling water over it, though this isn't as thorough.

Or if you don't feel comfortable with doing that. You could put the wood in your bath tub and pour boiling water over it, though this isn't as thorough.

I was think putting about a gallon of bleach in the 18 gallon tub I've been using for a day? Then change out to regular tap water the following day?

I personally wouldn't use bleach on it. It will get absorbed into the wood and be impossible to get it all out before putting it I the tank. Wen I got my piece of driftwood I soaked it in a big Rubbermaid container for a couple weeks changing the water whenever I noticed a color change. I just used hot tap water to fill the container. I had a lid over it and let it sit outside.

Attachments

• image-2884175289.jpg
    image-2884175289.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 60
  • image-1973746705.jpg
    image-1973746705.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 66
Ok. Anything I should specifically be looking for when I add the wood? Just make sure all my parameters remain the same?

Doesn't bleach start to dissipate easily? I have never had an issue with rinsing off the bleach. It whitens them a bit at first. But the dark color returns to the wood. It does also help with expediting the tannin release.

image-3551829717.jpg

Here is a piece I am working on now.

Attachments

• image-2043581300.jpg
    image-2043581300.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 60
  • image-2374115869.jpg
    image-2374115869.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 60
No need to complicate things... Just pour boiling water over it. You don't need to worry about changing water out as tannins wont hurt the tank. Some people hate them but they dont bother me ant.

No need to complicate things... Just pour boiling water over it. You don't need to worry about changing water out as tannins wont hurt the tank. Some people hate them but they dont bother me ant.

I just don't like my water all dark. It's why we spend hundreds on filtration and regular PWC to keep our tanks sparkling clear. Unless your creating an authentic biotope.

Back
Top Bottom