Help with Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gallonmilk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am planning to put driftwood in my tank(haven’t yet) but it keeps coloring the water. My parents have told me that in their tanks in the past have had the same thing where the water would turn a tea color . I know there has to be some trick seeing how many people have beautiful tank setups with driftwood. Do I wait it out and keep changing the water in the bucket or do I need to do something specific?

The colouration is caused by tannins. Tannins can be removed by boiling the driftwood prior to putting in the tank.

Or if you prefer to deal with it in the tank, activated carbon in the filter will remove the tannins from the water. After a few months they will have all leeched out of the wood and you wont need the carbon anymore.

The colouration is caused by tannins. Tannins can be removed by boiling the driftwood prior to putting in the tank.

Or if you prefer to deal with it in the tank, activated carbon in the filter will remove the tannins from the water. After a few months they will have all leeched out of the wood and you wont need the carbon anymore.

Thank you I have another question do you think old driftwood would be safe I ordered new driftwood and spider wood both in the bucket but I got this old kinda soft now large piece soaking in the yard and I’m still not sure if it’s safe. It’s been in the weather for months maybe years from sitting in our yard.

Thank you I have another question do you think old driftwood would be safe I ordered new driftwood and spider wood both in the bucket but I got this old kinda soft now large piece soaking in the yard and I’m still not sure if it’s safe. It’s been in the weather for months maybe years from sitting in our yard.
Ive only ever used driftwood purchased from an aquatics store so i know its ok to use. Ill leave this for someone else.

I did watch a youtuber fetch old driftwood from his backyard and use it in a tank, so based on that i would say its ok, but maybe he was being selective with the piece of wood he picked out.

Just to add to my previous post. The tannins will likely clear up on their own over time with water changes if you dont boil the wood or add carbon to your filter. It will just take longer than if some process is actively drawing them out.

Ive only ever used driftwood purchased from an aquatics store so i know its ok to use. Ill leave this for someone else.

I did watch a youtuber fetch old driftwood from his backyard and use it in a tank, so based on that i would say its ok, but maybe he was being selective with the piece of wood he picked out.

Just to add to my previous post. The tannins will likely clear up on their own over time with water changes if you dont boil the wood or add carbon to your filter. It will just take longer than if some process is actively drawing them out.

Alright this has been really helpful thank you I will see what I can do with my wood

Back
Top Bottom