Help with filters & temp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

laurelhed

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have an overstocked 20 gallon with 7 small goldfish and a tiny pleco. I am planning a second tank, and to upgrade my outdoor pond for 3-4 of the goldfish, but right now I need way better filtration than what I've got. I'm manually doing what a filter should be doing, I think! I currently have two little Whisper Bio-Bag filters; they do essentially nothing. Going to LFS tomorrow for new filter, heater, airstone or bubble wand, driftwood for Daizy the pleco. What should I be getting in the way of a filter?
The tank sits on my daughter's dresser, so I don't have space underneath for big canisters or anything. I used to run a biowheel on my old 60 gallon, and remember liking it, but I had additional filters. Multiple filters are fine for me, as I know Goldfish are very messy. I understand for a 20 gallon I should be filtering about 200/gph. Help! What should I get? Also, something quiet. If it's too noisy, it will bug my 4 year old.
Then there's the heating issue. The tank is currently quite chilly. I don't have a thermometer, because it's a brand new setup, but I'm sure it needs to be warmed up. I'd like to bring it up to 70, which seems to be a good in between for the goldfish and pleco. How can I safely raise the temperature for these guys? That being said, I plan to set up a second, cold water tank for the comets before they move outside as everybody is growing like crazy.

I have an aqueon 50 (250gph) on my 20g QT tank plus a smaller aquaclear. I have filter foam wrapped around the intake of the aqueon because the suction is quite strong but its a decent, quiet filter. The marineland biowheel filters are good filters as well but i find them a bit noiser than the aqueons (personal opinion). I dont run any heaters with my goldies but their tanks generally stay @70. You probably should look into a little thermometer (under $10) to see exactly how cold your tanks really are before considering a heater-they may not be as cold as you think. Im sure a tropical person can provide you with a better idea on what heaters to consider if one is necessary! Hope this helps! :)

on a 20g, i would say get a Aqua clear 70

i run an aqua clear 70 and a aqueon 30 on my 29 goldfish tank and it works great :)

also i really think that when you got to you lfs you should surrender some of your goldfish

--in my opinion you should not keep the pleco with the goldfish. plecos are tropical fish, water temp around 76 F where as goldfish are cold water... temps aroung 68-72

Back
Top Bottom